The Pros and Cons of Dating a Fratstar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Urban Dictionary defines “frat star” as “The cream of the crop of college life. This superior male can be found enjoying fratty light at the frat castle wearing dockers, sperry’s and a seersucker blazer. Always a gentleman, frat stars go out of their way to open doors for ladies but are never shy to take a slam piece to pound town.”

Everyone has their opinion of frat guys, some girls love ’em, some girls can’t stand them. We have collected various opinions of why you should or shouldn’t date them. In my experience of dating one, there have been both pros and cons. The pros are obvious, you get a built in network of super-cute guy friends, endless party invites, you get to dress up for formals and events, and of course, a hot new man. On the other hand, I was constantly on my best behavior, trying to impress his brothers, but for the first few months, they really didn’t care to get to know me. In their defense, there are different girls coming in and out all of the time, so unless you’re a serious girlfriend, they just assume you’re another “slampiece”. Here are a few quotes from guys and ladies around the UAB campus to help you make the choice for yourself!

“We are the most gentlemanly guys on campus, but we don’t commit to anyone.”
-Dave Newman, Theta Chi Fraternity

“I love that the fraternity has made my boyfriend such a gentleman, and he is really involved because of it.”
-Lindsey Gipson, dates a brother of Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity

“There are plenty of said pros to dating a frat guy, sure. they’re fun, witty (for the most part) sometimes charming, and they’re always down to have fun or whatever have you. But at the same time, I feel that the “gentleman” factor that they’re supposed to live up to and live by has just kind of died. Sure, they may seem chivalrous and all, but I think it’s only skin deep…I tend to have a problem with the god-complex most of the put up…The pretentiousness of it all is a major turn off, so thats why I choose not to date them.”
-Anonymous

“We are not all like the stereotype. Some of us are good guys who mean well. I can’t speak for everyone, but I try to be a gentleman, caring and understanding.”
-Jeff Roquet, Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity

“The pros are that they are involved on campus, often rich, have lots of friends (and friends for your friends), they have good social skills and are generally fun people. The cons are that there’s lots of partying, slutty girls are always around, so you risk that they will be unfaithful and potentially not remember.”
-Brooke Z.

“They have absolutely no banter and wear stupid strings on their sunglasses…Apart from that, tennis guys are obviously much hotter!”
-Danny Manlow, UAB tennis team

So there you have it, tons of mixed opinions! Have you dated a fraternity guy and had either a good or bad experience? Tell us about it below! :)

Jaime is a junior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. There she is the captain of her varsity golf team and a journalism and English double-major. She is an active member in the Student Athletic Advisory Committee where she helps organize volunteer opportunities and social functions for student-athletes at UAB. Jaime enjoys cooking, entertaining friends, reading/writing blogs, fashion, and of course, golf. She aspires to eventually write for a major magazine or write chick-lit books.