Style > Beauty

Perks of Having a Minimal Beauty Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

With social media, beauty advertisements, and our favorite YouTubers being sponsored by and partnering with beauty companies, it is hard to resist making a run to Sephora or ordering new products online. Many people are in the bind of wanting the flawless hair, makeup, and outfit, but either time and/or finances prohibit this reality. If this is the case for you, it may be beneficial to invest in a minimal beauty routine. Even if this is not the situation for you, it can only help your skin and wallet to give your face a breather.

Having a minimal beauty routine can…

Help you save time and money.

When you invest less and money into your routine, you will realize that using those resources to the degrees you once did was somewhat pointless. After changing your routine, you may not feel as inclined to purchase every new item in Sephora or at the MAC counter. Instead, money can be spent elsewhere… and you can sleep in longer too. Who doesn’t cherish sleep these days?!

Let you sleep on pillows and change clothes without worrying about makeup transfer.

Sometimes we may need a catnap at a friend’s place or an outfit change. There’s nothing worse than getting makeup on pillowcases or clothes that you’re trying on. When craving sleep, no one has time to cover a pillow before knocking out… So what’s the solution? Go fresh faced for as long as you can/want. Embrace your face and enjoy that nap, girl.

Allow your hair and skin to become healthier.

Instead of clogging your pores with layers of makeup, just use more natural products to include a moisturizer that works with your skin. Lay off on the lash extensions… no more red eyes for you. While you’re at it, you might as well embrace your natural hair texture. When you make use of oils and leave-in conditioner and opt from using heat tools, your hair will grow longer faster, look shinier and healthier, and have less split ends. Hair gainz? Yes, please.

Figure out what products work for your skin and hair, and what you can do to make them look their best with the least amount of effort. For some, messy buns are their go-to style, but the braided look or heatless waves may work for you. Try to schedule nightly showers and prep your hair and skin for the morning. Put together outfits in advance and have some go-to outfits in mind, just in case there is a change in your agenda or there is unexpected weather. Ultimately, your skin, hair, wallet, and even stomach (if you can fit breakfast in, if you usually skip it due to your schedule) will be better off if you adopt a minimal beauty routine. You don’t have to go makeup-less and rock heatless hairstyles everyday, but adopting a more natural and effortless routine just a couple days out of the week, can leave you feeling less stressed and more energized and fresh than you otherwise would.

My name is Kristal and I am currently a senior at UAB. As a business major and hopeful journalist, I hope to use my gifts and knowledge to reach across the world. I have interests in all things related to society-- hisory, social justice issues, man-made societal "norms." In my spare time, I enjoy working out, watching documentaries, viewing fashion blogs and magazines, and dreaming of the possibilities of my future. Would I forget to mention the importance of "Clueless" references in my life? Ugh, as if!