Perks and Downfalls of Being the Mom of the Friend Group

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Being the mom of a friend has its many perks and downfalls.

Pro: Your friends come to you for advice.

You are their go to person whether it be about boys, school, or just life in general they will

always come to you first to talk about the issue. When they come, and talk to you and confide in

you it’s always a great feeling because you are reassured that they trust in you and know that

whatever they tell you will be keep in secrecy and free of judgement. Through this you can grow

closer to them and develop a better relationship with them on a more personal level.

Con: You have to be the responsible and rationale one.

There’s nothing wrong with being responsible, however when your friends are doing something

like not studying when they should be for a test you know they have the next day, you must be

the one to get them in line and tell them to go do their work. At times being the rationale and

responsible one can be time consuming and you could be labeled as the “lame one”.

Pro: Your friends listen to what you have to say because you are the “mom”.

In most situations, it’s hard to get your friends to listen to your rationale and point of view.

However, when they see you as their mother figure they’re more willing to listen to you and take

what you’re saying into consideration.

Con: You have to plan everything.

Yes, planning fun activities can be great and exciting. However, when you have to work around

multiple schedules, people not agreeing, and being automatically expected to make all the

planning decisions it can become exhausting.

At the end of the day: Sometimes, being the mom of a friend group can be seen as too much

work and not worth the benefits. On the contrary, being the mom can be very rewarding. Every

time I hear “you’re so reliable,” “you’re my best friend,” “wow, I didn’t know you had to clean

your sheets every two weeks,” I feel a hint of pride. So, while the job may get tedious from day

to day, I love all of my dysfunctional friends, and I will never stop being their responsible

thinking, gum-wielding, always on time, both literally and figuratively, mother.