Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UAB News

The Best-Kept Secrets of UAB

By Marissa Goins
September 10, 2012 - 6:49pm

When you go to college, there are dozens of people designed to be your mentors. You are given orientation leaders, RAs, and advisors. Each and every one is set out to make sure you have the “best college experience ever.” They tell you the hours of the dining hall, which classes you need to take, and that finding balance is the key to happiness. READ MORE

The Truth About Roofies

By Kaylyn Alexander
September 2, 2012 - 3:31pm

George Jean Nathan once said, “I only drink to make other people seem interesting." Unfortunately, that "lady" or "gent" next to you in the bar agrees; and, some will go the extra mile to ensure that you will be as interesting as they want you to be. I don't mean to be your mother or life coach, but I'm taking a stab at my first science-meets-sociology article to pull a reluctant issue to the surface: Spiking drinks. It has become a common trend for these demographics:
1. Birmingham party and venue-goers
2. College students
3. Strong, independent males AND females READ MORE

Panhellenic Recruitment: The Real Deal on Rushing

By Marissa June Goins
August 20, 2012 - 8:24pm

It’s that time of year again! Make way for eccentric outfits, re-written pop songs, and glitter galore. Cheers, chants, and coordinated outfits, brace yourself. Ladies, break out your pearls: Panhellenic recruitment is here. Starting this Wednesday, each night Panhellenic Council will host events for girls looking to go Greek. To kick off recruitment, there will be a tea party on the Green Wednesday night for potential new members (PNMs) to come out and mingle with sisters before formal recruitment begins. READ MORE

Things to do This Mother's Day

By Jaime Ritter
May 8, 2012 - 5:44pm

This Mother's Day, celebrate your mother (or other lovely lady) who means the world to you. Every mama is different, so find the event that best suits her! Does your mom....   Love to eat? Take her to Mother's Day brunch at Little Savannah Restaurant on 3811 Clairmont Ave. S. For reservations and details call 205-591-1119 or check out the website here.  Love to workout? READ MORE

Summer Trends Report

By Jaime Ritter
April 28, 2012 - 10:05pm

Summer is just around the corner and we've rounded up six things you should absolutely invest in when the weather warms up.  READ MORE

UAB Assists in Autism Research

By Kaylyn Alexander
April 21, 2012 - 10:57pm

The Alabama Senate voted 32-0 for legislation earlier this month, in favor for private insurance companies to offer more health coverage for autism treatment, according to Bama Hager, parent advocate for the Autism Bill and Policy Advisor of the Autism Society of Alabama.  READ MORE

Be the Hostest with the Mostest!

By Jaime Ritter
April 7, 2012 - 5:25pm

Do you ever sit around on a Saturday with your friends, going back and forth with the “what should we do tonight” debate? There is always the options of your local bars, clubs, that friend’s house that no one really likes, the Lambda Kappa Whatever fraternity party, or staying in. If all of those options have been exhausted, don’t put on your race car pajamas and go to bed, plan your own party! I’ve laid it out step-by-step so that you can be the ultimate host without being stuck in the kitchen all night.  READ MORE

Shake up your Fitness Routine with World Dance!

By Kelly Leuch
March 29, 2012 - 5:50pm

READ MORE

UAB Student Creates Staffs, Survival Bracelets, Jewelry, etc

By Jaime Ritter
March 16, 2012 - 9:32pm

The Basics
Name: Heath Lucas
Major: Local Economics and Philosophy
Hometown: Hoover, Alabama
Quote to live by: "People aren't searching for the meaning of life, what their really searching for is the experience of being alive."
-Joseph Cambell What he does
"I make lots...walking staffs, survival bracelets, wire jewelry" What he uses
"I use Crepe Myrtle Wood, Paracord, Paper, Vintage Items, Paper Mache, Clay, Wire, Bone, Cigar Boxes, Spray Paint. I also do video and photography...my favorite medium would have to be Crepe Myrtle Wood for my staffs." READ MORE

The Inside Scoop on Schooldate, the Latest Dating Site for Collegiettes

By Jaime Ritter
March 6, 2012 - 12:14pm

Are you tired of the dating scene in Birmingham? Do you want to meet new people, but are skeptical of the whole "online dating" thing? Yeah, me too, until I found out about this new site called Schooldate. Unlike other dating websites, it's exclusive to college kids, and you won't get creepy old guys hitting on you because it requires a .edu email address to sign up! Here's the inside scoop from one of the founders, Andres Uribe.
Andres, third from left and some of his schooldate team. READ MORE