Meet Jazzy Journalist: Bekah Fountain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Photo by: Bruce Southerland

Name: Bekah

Classification: Senior

Hometown: Huntsville, Alabama

Major: Broadcast Journalism

Age: 24

HC: What made you choose your major?

Bekah: Watching Anderson Cooper. He’s right in the middle of danger and he still reports. Back in 2012 I saw him report at the Gaza Strip between the crossfires and a rocket exploded blocks from him and he ducked down. That was the moment where I sat there and said, “THAT’S what I want to do!”

HC: What are you passionate about?

Bekah: I love making people happy. That’s why I love music so much. It’s fun and you can make others happy while playing! It’s a universal language.

HC: What hobbies do you have?

Bekah: I play in one of the jazz combos here at UAB. I play alto saxophone and clarinet. Outside of classes, I enjoy hiking, camping, video games, cooking, and going out of town to spend time with friends.

HC: What’s your dream job?

Bekah: Working for CNN or working for Girl Scouts.

HC: What’s your favorite book?

Bekah: The Help! The main character Eugenia ‘Skeeter’ Phelan is an aspiring writer and I identify with her so much.

HC: What’s your favorite restaurant in Birmingham?

Bekah: MELT for lunch and Steel City Pops for dessert!

HC: What are you most thankful for?

Bekah: My mom. She’s been my biggest supporter my entire life. She’s also always made sure that I knew about my culture. She’s half Japanese and half Czech and it’s always meant a lot to her to share her culture and heritage with me.

Tamia is a senior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham majoring in mass communication with a journalism concentration. She is currently serving as one of her chapter's campus correspondents. 
HCUAB