Meet Game-Changer Al Dixon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Aldenero “Al” Dixon

Hometown: Montgomery, AL

Major: Early Childhood Education

Minor: Political Science

Classification: Junior

Age: 21

What does your involvement consist of?

UAB Ambassador, BMEN mentor, VP of Finance for Omega Tau Chapter of Alpha Kappa Psi, Co-director of Minor Programs for BSAC, Youth Commissioner for Alabama State Service Commissioner, UAB Leadership and Service Council volunteer, student representative on the UAB Eyecare strategic task force

What are your career goals?

I would like to teach for a maximum of ten years, on the elementary level, and become nationally board-certified. In this time period, I will pursue a Master’s in Public Policy with a concentration in Education Policy. A long-term goal is to serve as the United States Secretary of Education and eventually become the President of the United States.

What is your favorite quote?

“If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” – MLK, Jr. 

What is a unique fact about yourself?

I have a fraternal twin, but we graduated from different high schools.

What is your greatest accomplishment?

Being selected by the governor to serve on the Alabama State Service Commission has been my greatest accomplishment thus far.

What are you passionate about?

I am passionate about education for all people, including but not limited to, academia, politics, and basic human rights. 

My name is Kristal and I am currently a senior at UAB. As a business major and hopeful journalist, I hope to use my gifts and knowledge to reach across the world. I have interests in all things related to society-- hisory, social justice issues, man-made societal "norms." In my spare time, I enjoy working out, watching documentaries, viewing fashion blogs and magazines, and dreaming of the possibilities of my future. Would I forget to mention the importance of "Clueless" references in my life? Ugh, as if!