Meet Andrew Eubanks, Lacrosse Stud

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Name:Andrew Eubanks
Age: 19
Year: Sophomore
Majors/Minors: Nursing Major/Spanish Minor
Relationship Status: In a relationship

HC: How did you get into lacrosse?
AE: I got into lacrosse after I was forced out of my longtime sport, gymnastics, due to an elbow and a knee injury. I was always used to being an athlete, so sitting at home was not an option. I thought about all the sports I could try and my parents actually suggested I try lacrosse. At first I didn’t know if I would like it. Lacrosse was pretty new in the south and I thought I would just end up playing football like everyone else. But I gave lacrosse a shot, and I ended up so into the sport I never looked back.

HC: Is it as rough as it looks?
AE: Lacrosse is definitely as rough as it looks, and most that play would say that it’s rougher. There is a lot that athletes are accountable for when they play lacrosse. As always, one must stay light and agile on their feet for all the running that is involved. And a high level of hand-eye coordination is a must…Players and especially goalies are expected to be able to throw and catch a game ball the size of tennis ball in a small net at speeds up to 80 and 90 mph. Not to mention all the physical contact similar to football in addition with being allowed to hit/check opponents with a metal stick while playing defense. Lacrosse has been called “The fastest game on two feet”, and that is why I love it.

HC: Would you rather a girl play lacrosse or cheer from the sidelines?
AE: I would actually prefer it if girls did play. I have played and practiced with girls on many occasions. They are held to the same standards as guys in most aspects of field play. And girls work hard, so they end up being better than most guys that play.

HC: What’s your type?
AE: My type of girl, most demonstrated in the girl I am currently dating, is one who is strategic, confident, and determined. The type of girl who is confident about a game plan and has the drive enough to let nothing get in the way but can still allow someone to help them enjoy along the way.

HC: What’s your dream date (money/time are not an option):
AE: I would want to show that person the world on that one date. So the natural place I can think of to accomplish that in a day would be the Epcot Center at Disney World. Every time I go there it is absolutely amazing, and also a chance to get to try my romancing in each country (laughs). 

HC: Boxers or briefs?
AE: I have to say I live with the best of both worlds and go Boxer-Briefs.

HC: Anything else we should know about you?
AE: Anything else you would like to know?

Jaime is a junior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. There she is the captain of her varsity golf team and a journalism and English double-major. She is an active member in the Student Athletic Advisory Committee where she helps organize volunteer opportunities and social functions for student-athletes at UAB. Jaime enjoys cooking, entertaining friends, reading/writing blogs, fashion, and of course, golf. She aspires to eventually write for a major magazine or write chick-lit books.