Make 2016 YOUR Year!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

New year new me, right? Now think to yourself, “how many times have I said these words?”. Mid January is the time most people revert back to their old ways and ditch the salad for a cheeseburger. But, I’m anticipating the best for 2016, and so should you. To help, here’s a guide to creating and achieving your new year’s resolutions.

First and foremost, give yourself a pat on the back for making it through another year. Congratulations on surviving a year full of moments when you wanted to rip all of your hair out, a year full of 101 mistakes you thought you would never be able to get over, and one less semester of college to worry about. As you prepare to indulge in all that 2016 awaits, remember to brace yourself, seize the moment, and anticipate progress. 

Determine your goals.

First things first, take some time out to plan and develop your goals. Thinking about being more active on campus this semester? Then consider joining a club or organization that you think you would enjoy. Want to lose those last few pounds before spring break? Well make some time to hit the gym after class. It’s all about how serious you take your goals. 

Be realistic.

When pursuing your goals, it might not be the best to put a time frame on them. As long as you accomplish your goals, that’s all that matters. Don’t try to achieve the possible in an impossible time frame. It will only leave you sad and discouraged. 

Stick to it.

Another great tip to help you remain focused on achieving your new year’s resolutions is to post them somewhere you’ll typically look everyday. By placing a post-it note on your mirror or next to your bed or setting a special alarm on your phone, you’ll be reminded of what you’re trying to achieve. 

Accomplishing those goals is all up to you. Remember you get out what you put in. The best is yet to come. By planning, working hard and remaining optimistic, you too can make 2016 your year.

HCUAB