How to Survive 8 AM Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Maybe you binge watch Netflix every night or perhaps you struggle with falling asleep. Whatever reason it is, it causes you to have a hard time waking up the next morning for class. The last time you had to be up this early was in high school or freshmen year (when you didn’t have the opportunity to plan your schedule so nicely with no Friday classes). It sucks, but here’s how to deal.

Sleep.

• The most obvious answer and the one all night owls hate to hear because duh sleep. Get serious about getting yourself to go to bed at a decent time. Don’t rush it. If you naturally go to bed at 2 am slowly start going to bed earlier each night. There’s nothing more annoying than making yourself go to bed super early when you know you’re just going to lay there. So, make it more gradual and less painful.

Set up a night routine.

• Instead of just going to bed however and whenever, follow a similar set of steps each night. This could include: hot showers/baths, facemasks, tea, reading, audio podcasts/books, tidying up, journaling, prepping backpack/outfit/lunch and more. Focus on simple things and doing stuff that actually relaxes you.

Limit the snooze button.

• It’s great that we live in a world where we are allowed to say, “Nope, give me just 5 more minutes”. Often times those 5 minutes turn in 30 minutes. When this happens, it’s not okay and a terrible habit forms. Best advice is to “adult” and discipline yourself. Ultimately, you’ll feel better about having more time to get ready or eat and be on time.

Focus on having a positive morning.

• There is no secret to having good mornings. All you have to do is decide that the morning is not all bad, then soon enough the mornings won’t be as terrible. It sounds more easily said than done, but once you get in the habit, you will begin to see how your mood changes. You can read more on that here: 8 Paths to a Positive Morning.

Nap.

• You may find yourself a bit sleepy later in the day. Try a nap after lunchtime or before 4pm. This is not to say to take a 3-hour nap daily. It’s ok to refresh and rest your mind for 20-30 minutes. The key to naps is the length of time. Do not get carried away.
Kryshonna is a senior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham majoring in marketing. She is passionate about food, creating, and finding small ways to be happy. When she isn't acting as the Campus Correspondent, she can be found catching dinner with friends, wandering around Birmingham, or catching up on Youtube. She has a new found love for the color baby pink along with a number of other things including: working out, boba tea, and fuzzy things. For inspiration and fashion posts, you can follow her on Instagram @kokokrys.  Schedule Schedule