How to Stay Fit Over the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

As cold weather is upon us, so is the holiday season! With festivities ranging from Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and many other celebrations, there is one commonality: FOOD. With home cooked meals, grandmothers ensuring that you’ve had enough food, and comfier clothes, we may not realize the weight we’ve gained until the spring rolls around. I’ve come up with a few ideas that will keep you happy with your shape, and hopefully avoid adding any unwanted weight. 

1. Declare your goal!

Whether you are telling your sister, mom, or best friend, tell them your goals for the season. It is proven that if you verbally commit to an idea and if you express this commitment to another person, you will feel the accountability to stick to your commitment. 

2. Moderation!

I am a firm believer in treating yo’ self, so if you want a piece of pie at Thanksgiving, then eat some pie! Letting yourself eat what you want, but knowing when to stop is the key to a happy and successful holiday season. 

3. Keep up your exercise!

With long school breaks that can knock you out of your normal routine and workout habits, try to stay on top of it. Realize that slacking on your routine isn’t the worst thing in the world, but don’t forget about exercise altogether. You should also treat yo’ body to some healthy activities while you are treating yo’ self.

4. Buddy System!

This takes declaring your goal to a whole new level. All you have to do is partner with a bff or family member and commit to holding each other accountable over the season. You two can work together on finding the balance of moderation, daily activity, and staying happy. Just make sure this doesn’t become too competitive!

I know it’s hard to keep up with your health over the holidays. It is a stressful time of family events, gift shopping, and eating tons of food, but make sure self care is one of your priorities throughout the next couple of months. This ensures that you wont wake up one spring morning terrified by what the winter season has done to you. 

HCUAB