How to Beat the End of the Semester Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

If there’s one thing we all know about the end of the semester it’s that the work piles up! And it piles up quickly. Every semester I end up thinking, how did I wait until the last minute to do all these assignments?!

Let’s be honest, we have all been here when we don’t even know where to start working on our end of semester assignments….

And we have tried to finish the semester like…..

But what if it didn’t have to be that way? Here are some tips to help you avoid the end of semester race to beat deadlines:

1.      Get a planner! There are a lot of cute ones, and even some that you can customize! Get yourself some multicolored pens and give each class a different color. This will help you visualize what needs to get done and when it is due.

2.      Use your time wisely. I know it’s fun to scroll through Facebook or to go home and take a nap, but if you have an hour in between classes you could get a lot done!

3.      Don’t wait until the last minute for big assignments and tests. Complete a little portion each day or each week so that you don’t have to do an entire assignment right at the end of the semester.

4.      Make a to-do list of the most important items for the day. The catch is that you have to follow it! However, it does feel good to check things off.

5.      Plan out times to work on certain assignments. Write these times down in your planner and stick to them!

6.      Utilize your resources. There are a lot of ways to ensure your success on campus. Meet with your professors or schedule an appointment with the Academic Success Center if you are getting behind.

7. Make a study group! There’s nothing like some accountability to get you on track with that school work. 

I am a dreamer, avid jigsaw puzzler, and future teacher. I value education, and I hope to use it to change the world!
HCUAB