Healthy Snacking: It’s Easier Than You Thought

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Once the holidays come to an end, we can all start to feel guilty about overeating, but that’s what the holidays are all about…overeating! And after the ball drops, everyone hits the gym to drop a few pounds. As college students, we have to overcome the epidemic formally known as “snacking.” Recently, I was having a conversation with my father and he made a comment about how we eat as if it is a hobby: we eat on dates, we eat when we hangout with friends, we eat out of boredom! A snack is defined as “a light meal eaten between regular meals.” Rather than telling you to give up snacking cold turkey, here are few key substitutions worth suggesting. 

Study Snacks:

I feel that in the weeks to come these are the most important to consider. Because if you are anything like me, yours nerves go haywire during studying and there becomes a necessity to munch.·        

• Kale chips – These are a great alternative to potato chips because they eliminate a lot of your sodium intake. Simply grab a bag of kale at your local grocery store, lightly season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Then, pop them in the oven for about 20 minutes and you’re set!
  •  Fruit – Because your munchies can last longer than you intend during those late nights study sessions, rinse off a bag of red grapes and toss a few handfuls in a bowl. Just remember that it is possible to over do it with fruit.
  • Yogurt covered fruits – For those of you with more of a sweet tooth, this is definitely worth trying. Take a fruit of your choice (strawberries, blueberries, perhaps bananas) slice them up and place in an ice try. Then cover each slice with plain Greek yogurt and place in your freezer! Easy enough.

Before Workouts:

The hardest part about maintaining your figure is learning how to be satisfied with what you are eating; especially before and after a workout.

• Rice cakes – As a kid, I thought that these were the most flavorless food item on the planet! But when I was trying to get back in shape, they became a welcome addition to my pantry. They are low in calories and give you a little energy boost before a workout. Feel free to cover with a little peanut butter if you need to boost the taste.
  •  Wheat toast – I know…it’s not the tastiest treat either but it is just something to get you through your workout. Again, spread a little peanut butter on the toast if the taste is unbearable.
  • Yogurt – If you keep individual servings of yogurt (preferably Greek or non-fat) around, take some time to eat one cup before you head to the gym.
  • Half a Cliff or Kind bar – Sometimes you need an energy boost or something that will stick to your ribs more than the average snack. If so, make sure you keep your favorite Cliff of Kind bar handy. They will keep you going especially for those cardio days.
  •   A piece of fruit – Usually if I’m crunched for time, I grab a banana and go! Fruit is also a good option when trying to avoid an upset stomach. 

After Workouts:

If your workout is not followed by a mealtime then, you will need to find a way to fuel your body so that you are not hungry… but don’t go overboard.

•  Organic chocolate milk – Going to the gym can take a lot out of you. Chocolate milk can provide the protein you need to strengthen your muscles.
  • Cheese – Yes, but don’t get too excited. You cannot go elbow- deep in a bowl of grated cheddar cheese. Try a low-fat cheese stick or a couple of mini Babybel® cheeses.
  • Nuts – An excellent source of protein and it’s easy to have in a Ziploc® bag with you after your workout. I would have to say that almonds are my personal favorite.
  • Cuties – I like these because they take a little time to actually eat, which I feel is important following a workout. I think we are trained to think we deserve to eat following a workout so we may imagine a certain level of hunger. So eat two of these and peel slowly.

The Bet You Can’t Eat Just One:

The problem with snack food that can get us in the most trouble is that they come in HUGE bags that encourage us to eat and eat and eat, on and on forever! The truth of the matter is if there is a snack you cannot live without, place one serving of it in a plastic bag for yourself.

• Popcorn –I remember when I was kid, my mom would give me a bag of hot popcorn and when I got down to just the kernels, I would begin to lick my fingers to get that delicious taste of butter… and then go back for more (more butter). So my suggestion for this much loved snack is to eat smart. Invest in the 100-calorie mini bags to avoid the extreme butter consumption.
  • Fruit –I know I may sound like a broken record with this particular snack, but I am huge fruit fan! Although it is possible to overdo, but in my opinion, you can do worse than eat one too many grapes. So if you are in the mood to snack, go for some fruit.
  • Dry cereal – Please do not go for the sugary cereals! I’m thinking more along the lines of a 100-calorie serving of Cheerios. Remember that snacks are just meant to be a tie- over to the next meal.

I’m not sure if I’m hungry or bored:

Sometimes we feel compelled to eat because there is nothing at all better to do with our time. If you keep your favorite unhealthy snack foods in your room, this can be problematic.

• Water –Sometimes when we think we are hungry, we are actually just thirsty. So before you head for the pantry, drink a tall glass of water. If that doesn’t do the trick, then go grab a small snack.

Just remember that it is perfectly okay to snack, but it is important that you you’re your mind time to catch up with your body. You can often not be as hungry as you think, so make sure you eat any snack you have slowly and drink plenty of water.

Hi there! My name is Victoria. I was born and raised in Mongomery, AL, I now attend UAB where I am a Biomedical Engineering major! When I am not studying I enjoying watching a movie or cracking open a book for enjoyment. I love to learn about things that give me a different perspective on life, because life is dull if its one-sided. I have only been writing for a short time but I love it!
Jakeya is a Sophomore at The University of Alabama at Birmingham. Her Major is Healthcare Administration w/ a minor in Nutrition Science. In her spare time, Jakeya enjoys reading, writing, shopping and spending time with her family. In addition to being Editor-and-Cheif of HC UAB, Jakeya is an active member of the NAACP, and the Student Actvities Council at UAB. When Jakeya is not hard at work with school, extra-curriculars, or her job at taco bell, you can find her somewhere snuggled with her boyfriend and a good movie. You can contact her at Jakeyajohnson@hercampus.com