Five Places to Meet your Next Boyfriend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Do you feel like every guy you date is a loser? Maybe it’s not them per say, but rather where you meet them. What I’m saying is if you’re picking up guys in a bar, you’re probably going to end up with people that tend to drink and party a ton. If that’s what you’re into, great. However, if you’re looking for something a little more serious, try one of these foolproof spots. Oh, and flirting moves are included.

1. The dorm laundry room: Ok, before you discount this one, hear me out and let me set the scene for you. There’s a hottie separating their darks from their whites when (gasp!) you realize you forgot your bleach/detergent/dryer sheets/quarters/whatever. So, you casually ask them if they have any you can borrow. They lend you some, you say “Thanks, next time we do laundry, I’ll have to pay you back” and then it opens up to the “next time” discussion. Laundry rooms are great because they provide one-on-one time, you’re waiting for your clothes, and if it gets awkward at any point, you can just go back up to your room. Just please, no over-the-top shenanigans like putting your panties in their laundry basket.

2. Bookstores. It might sound weird, but bookstores are an awesome place to practice flirting. Let’s say you’re browsing at Barnes & Noble (or getting a latte, I won’t judge) and there’s a cute salesperson. You have an easy in, because all you have to say is, “What book do you recommend reading?” Who knows, maybe they love The Hunger Games as much as you do…and what do you know, the movie just came out. Hey, you guys should go see that together!

3. Volunteering. Not to state the obvious, but guys that do community service are usually very pleasant. Unless they’re picking up trash on the side of the road and have ankle bracelets on…stay away from them. But seriously, nothing will bond you two more than building houses for Habitat for Humanity or cleaning up a beach together. It will give you plenty of time to get to know each other. 

4. An elective class. Let’s face it, sometimes in college we fall into ruts where we constantly hang out with the same people. Most of the time, those people have the same majors as us or are in our classes. So, by branching out and taking a class that isn’t part of your major (like sculpture or SCUBA) you’ll meet new guys. Best case scenario, you snag a hottie. Worst case scenario, you look well-rounded on a resume. See, it’s a win-win situation!

5. At the gym. But do it the right way. Guys might think it’s a great idea to go to a yoga class because “there are tons of girls”, but I doubt you’ve gotten hit on while doing downward dog. On that note, complimenting a guy on his muscles is so awkward. He’s going to say “thanks” and walk away. Try actually starting a conversation by saying something like, “Do you know of any good cardio classes? I’m bored with my workout routine.” If they say they go to bootcamp on Wednesdays, then you’ll probably see them there, and you’ll get a sweet workout! 

Jaime is a junior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. There she is the captain of her varsity golf team and a journalism and English double-major. She is an active member in the Student Athletic Advisory Committee where she helps organize volunteer opportunities and social functions for student-athletes at UAB. Jaime enjoys cooking, entertaining friends, reading/writing blogs, fashion, and of course, golf. She aspires to eventually write for a major magazine or write chick-lit books.