Everyone’s Favorite Cat Lady: Shelby Pitts!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Hometown: Fairhope, Alabama

Classification: Sophomore

Age: 19

Major: Kinesiology 

1. Where does your love for cats stem from?

Honestly, I don’t really know. I have loved cats ever since I can remember.

2. What is it about cats that makes you love them so much?

Well it started out because they are just so cute and fluffy. But I have come to love their bipolar attitudes. It’s kind of funny, butut I can also relate to it a lot. In fact, I’d say my spirit animal is a cat. I like the fact that they are so playful, yet also loveable. And sometimes they just don’t want attention, which fits me well because sometimes I don’t like attention, so having an animal that is not super needy fits me well.

3. How many cats have you owned in your lifetime and which was your favorite?

I have had too many to count. My favorite was a mix, he was half Siamese and half something that I didn’t know. His name was Bear and he was the most loveable cat, but he also had a mind of his own. I had him since he was born, we had to bottle feed him and everything. 

4. How many articles of cat clothing do you own and which is your favorite piece?

A lot. If I had to take a guess, I would say about 15. My favorite would have to be the cat sweater my mom gave me. She had it when she was younger and  I remember her wearing it all the time when I was a kid.

5. How many cat pages do you follow on your social media outlets?

Like ten, if not more. My newsfeed is always full of cat pictures or videos.

6. Do you ever get ridiculed over your obsession?

All the time. Sometimes by friends who just like to joke with me. But people will judge, people always find a reason to judge others. Although, I actually get complimented more often than I get ridiculed.

7. Any advice for future cat ladies or comments to the haters?

To the haters: You are irrelevant and should find something else to obsess your time on… maybe cats.

To cat ladies: Stay true to yourself and love cats.

To anyone else: Keep doing you.