Enjoying the Single Life on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Enjoying the Single life on Valentine’s Day

It’s every “unhappily- single” person’s least favorite holiday: Valentine’s Day. While it’s great to share this day with someone you’re madly in love with, it is also okay to celebrate it alone. Valentine’s Day is not just a holiday for couples and elementary school kids. It’s also a holiday that promotes taking some time to love yourself. As a single college student, there are PLENTY of options available with little to no cost to you!

Go see a movie- I’m sure not all of your friends are taken, right? Well if not, you could all go together to see a movie this upcoming Saturday. A recommended movie, especially if you all have read the book, is Fifty Shades of Grey which is likely to sell out so purchase your tickets in advance.

Girl’s Night In- You could also stay in for the night; there’s no need to go out. You can gather all your closest friends under one roof and have fun. You could make it into a “junk food potluck” or you could make all your favorite desserts and watch your favorite “chick flicks.”

Pamper Yourself- If for whatever reason your friends seem to have dates or you just prefer to be alone, go to the nail salon or treat yourself to a spa day.

Chinese New Year Festival- If you’re looking for a more non-traditional Valentine’s Day, then maybe the Birmingham Chinese New Year festival is for you. It’s hosted by the Birmingham Chinese American Community at the Boutwell Auditorium. There will be food, music, art, activities, and a stage performance. The celebration starts at 11 am and the show at 11:30 on February 14th. Tickets are two dollars per adult.

Lesson to take away: Whatever your relationship status is this Valentine’s Day, learn to enjoy and make the most out of it.