Celebrating Black Achievement in Film & TV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

It’s officially February, which means Black History Month is in full-effect. Throughout the month we celebrate black achievement of the past and present, while working on the future. Black achievement is occurring across many major platforms, including film and television. Here’s a list of new and returning productions to look forward to this year:

1. Atlanta – FX

Season 1 of Atlanta follows the daily life of Earn, played by Donald Glover himself, after he moves back to Atlanta, Georgia to redeem himself in the eyes of his ex-girlfriend and his family. Earn is a Princeton University drop out with no money or anything to his name. He tries to make his way by managing his cousin Alfred, also known as “Paper Boi”, an up and coming rapper. Along the way they come face to face with real life issues such as race, relationships, poverty, status and parenthood. Season 2 is set to premiere Thursday, March 1 at 9/10p.m. EST! 

2. Insecure – HBO

This comedy series analyzes the friendship of two black women in a way that is raw and uncut. Issa and Molly, played by Issa Rae and Yvonne Orji, share their experiences of heartbreak, along with moments of success and even failure. The series touches on social issues that relate to the contemporary black experience, while bringing in the endless laughs between a group of friends. Insecure has been renewed for a third season, but there is no set air date. Seasons one and two are available to stream on HBO

3. grown·ish – Freeform

grown·ish premiered last month as a sitcom spin off to black·ishZoey Johnson, played by young entrepreneur Yara Shahidi, leaves home for college and gets her first taste of being grown. The show explores the ins and outs of college life from school, friends, and of course — dating. Catch grown·ish on Wednesday’s at 8/9 p.m. EST on Freeform!

4. black·ish – ABC

black·ish is a comedy series centered around an upper-middle class black family. The show follows the Johnson family’s efforts to create a sense of ethnic identity for themselves and honor their background while preparing for the future. black·ish frequently covers social and racial issues that are happening right now! black·ish is available to stream on ABC.

5. The Chi – Showtime

This show is a Lena Waithe coming of age tale of a group of kids in the South Side of Chicago. Also executive produced by Common, the drama follows four young black boys and their day-to-day experiences which are often challenged with life or death decisions. The Chi airs on Sundays at 9/10 p.m. EST on Showtime

6. Black Panther

Marvel Studios’ Black Panther follows T’Challa who returns home to the isolated, technologically advanced African nation of Wakanda to succeed to the throne as king. Black Panther is tested when he is drawn into conflict that puts the fate of the nation and the entire world at risk. This film is filled with lots of amazing, talented black actors and actresses. Black Panther is played by Chadwick Boseman, who is joined by cast mates Michael B. Jordan, Angela Bassett, Lupita Nyong’o and Daniel Kaluuya to name a few. Black Panther hits theaters February 16! 

7. Wrinkle in Time

Ava DuVernay is directing this science fantasy film based on a screenplay and 1962 novel of the same name. The storyline follows two children as they join three magical beings – Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which – to travel across the universe and rescue their father from a terrible evil. The film will open in theaters on March 9, 2018! 

Tamia is a senior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham majoring in mass communication with a journalism concentration. She is currently serving as one of her chapter's campus correspondents.