#BlackEveryMonth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

If you didn’t know, the month of February is not just about Valentine’s Day, chocolate, and gifts. February is actually Black History Month.

One month out of the year, we take the time out to recognize the achievements of African-Americans and their contributions to society. Remember the days of elementary school? You learned about Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, and all the other greats. Maybe you participated in a Black History program or watched “Our Friend, Martin” in your social studies class. All of February you learned about all the good things African-Americans did, but what happened on March 1? Everything went back to “normal”.

Here we are in the midst of February 2017 and you should know that the month doesn’t have to end like that. The appreciation can and should last longer than 28 days (29 if we’re lucky! ). As an African-American woman, I think it is important that we continue to celebrate our history no matter what day, month, or year. After all, I am black every month, not just February

In light of recent events and conversations, acknowledgement has become even more important. As you continue this month and even the rest of this year, here are a few things I want you to remember:

1. Knowledge is Power.

Whether it’s reading books, researching online, or simply talking to people; keep learning! I urge everyone to learn about their history because it has helped shape  who you are 365 days a year. 

2. Connect with others.

On social media you can get involved by following tags like #BlackHistoryMonth, #BHM, and Refinery29’s #AcknowledgeisPower. People all over the world are sharing interesting facts and stories to celebrate the legacies of important black figures. Sharing is great, and it’s even better when you have an audience who’s willing to listen. 

3. You are important.

No matter who you are, know that you are valuable. Yes, your history, your culture, your present and your future. It’s all important. 

4. Make every day a celebration.

Be black and proud every single day! You don’t need a month to tell you when to commend anyone. Call it when you see it! 

Tamia is a senior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham majoring in mass communication with a journalism concentration. She is currently serving as one of her chapter's campus correspondents. 
HCUAB