Black Friday 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Friends and family aren’t the only things we’re thankful for this holiday season. As college students, we also give thanks to the unbeatable deals we come across on Black Friday! Prices don’t get much better than on this savvy shopper’s holiday, but with all the crazy crowds are the savings really worth it? OF COURSE!!! If you know how to navigate the craziness then the savings are more than worth a few hours of disorder. Follow these 6 tips to get the most out of your Black Friday Shopping Trip!

1.Plan, Plan, Plan. Most stores release copies of their Black Friday ads online. You can either go to the stores website or go to a site that has multiple store ads like blackfriday.com. Find out when each store you want to visit opens, and make a schedule so that you can catch as many sales as possible. If there are specific items that you want, plan to go to those stores first. Both Walmart and Target offer a store map that tells exactly where each sale item will be.

2.The early bird gets the worm. Show up early! If you show up right when the store opens, you’ll most likely be in a long line. Let’s be honest, there will be lines regardless but you’ll have a better chance of getting the items you want so don’t be late! Some stores even offer a special gift for the first 100 or so customers in line.

3.Shop cyber savings. Great deals from the comfort of my own home? YES PLEASE! Not only do you get rock bottom prices on Friday, but the deals continue into cyber Monday. Keep an eye out for discount codes that give free shipping or a percentage off.

4.Teamwork makes the dream work. Gather up a few friends or family members and go together. The crowds can be very intimidating especially when you’re by yourself. If you have a big team, split up into smaller groups of two or three and cover more shopping in half the time!

5.Safety First.  All the crazies come out on Black Friday so be on the lookout! Don’t fall into the group of people who fight over toys and parking spots. If you miss a sale, it’s no big deal. Cyber Monday is literally right around the corner so you’ll have another chance. Be smart about how you store your purchases to avoid robberies. Keep expensive items out of sight, and never count money in parking lots or garages.

6.Dress for success. Remember to dress for the weather. If it’s cold outside, it’s best to dress in layers. That way you can take something off when you start to get warm in those snug lines. Wear shoes you’d be comfortable walking and standing in for long periods of time. If possible, only carry a wristlet or small purse.

Have more tips for a successful Black Friday? Let us know in the comments below!

Jakeya is a Sophomore at The University of Alabama at Birmingham. Her Major is Healthcare Administration w/ a minor in Nutrition Science. In her spare time, Jakeya enjoys reading, writing, shopping and spending time with her family. In addition to being Editor-and-Cheif of HC UAB, Jakeya is an active member of the NAACP, and the Student Actvities Council at UAB. When Jakeya is not hard at work with school, extra-curriculars, or her job at taco bell, you can find her somewhere snuggled with her boyfriend and a good movie. You can contact her at Jakeyajohnson@hercampus.com