Amazing Alumni Jaime Ritter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Name: Jaime Ritter

Graduation Year: 2013

Degree: Communications Journalism, minor in English Literature

HC: What do you remember most about your time at UAB?

Jaime: My greatest memories of UAB definitely came from outside of the classroom — like traveling with my golf team and founding the Her Campus branch (Holla!).

HC: What have you ben up to since graduating in 2013?

Jaime: I’ve been working non-stop! I got a job right after graduation as a magazine editor, and now I’m working as a digital brand journalist for the ad agency that represents UAB (Go Blazers!).

HC: Do you think it’s hard to keep in touch with college friends now that you’ve graduated?

Jaime:  I don’t think it’s necessarily “hard” to keep in touch, but now most of my friends either work 40 hours a week or have moved away so it’s a little trickier. You have to make the effort to get together and pick up the phone. With that being said, I don’t have high-maintenance friends. I’m terrible about calling. I get caught up in my own bubble and forget about them for weeks at a time. I’m the worst, but I can give them a call and it’s like no time has passed at all. And I love that.

HC: Do you have any advice for UAB students approaching graduation?
Jaime: My advice to undergrads is to get as much real-world experience as possible. No disrespect to the awesome faculty at UAB, but I learned the most about my field through internships. Also, don’t wait for things to come to you. I called, sent query letters, and emailed my resume until someone finally said yes.
Jakeya is a Sophomore at The University of Alabama at Birmingham. Her Major is Healthcare Administration w/ a minor in Nutrition Science. In her spare time, Jakeya enjoys reading, writing, shopping and spending time with her family. In addition to being Editor-and-Cheif of HC UAB, Jakeya is an active member of the NAACP, and the Student Actvities Council at UAB. When Jakeya is not hard at work with school, extra-curriculars, or her job at taco bell, you can find her somewhere snuggled with her boyfriend and a good movie. You can contact her at Jakeyajohnson@hercampus.com