8 Paths to a Positive Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

I’m sure we’ve all had our fair share of moments when we wake up with just enough time to make it to class or feeling like we want to stay under the covers. It happens, but it doesn’t have to happen all the time. Here are eight easy ways to have more productive, positive mornings:

1.     Don’t oversleep.

Wake up early and allow yourself time to experience the morning.  Your routine doesn’t have to be two hours long, but you should give yourself enough time to get ready and be thoughtful. You don’t want to rush or arrive at your destination already feeling like the day is bound to be terribly long.

2.     Don’t check your social media immediately.

Social media is not all bad, but it’s okay to be unplugged from technology for a moment. Simply put: If it’s not urgent to your well-being, it can wait.

3.     Let in some sunshine.

Sunlight is a natural mood booster. If you have trouble getting out of bed or if you’re not a morning person, the Sun will definitely help wake you up.

4.     Express gratitude.

It’s easy to get caught up in the homework assignments, the deadlines, and the overall craziness of life. But a simple expression of gratitude will shift your day entirely. It can be as simple as, “I am thankful for waking up today.” You will feel happier and more appreciative.

5.     Have a good breakfast.

I’m talking grits, eggs and bacon. Don’t like that? Try yogurt with fresh berries and a cup of tea. It doesn’t matter. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so have a breakfast that makes you happy. Whether something healthy and nutritious or your favorite chocolate chip pancakes, breakfast should be something you can look forward to!

6.     Dress to impress yourself.

Make sure you feel comfortable and confident. Moisturize you skin, brush your hair and put on some lipstick if it makes you feel powerful. Leave the house feeling fearless. Make yourself look good on the outside, and it will translate into you feeling good on the inside.

7.     Set your intentions for the day.

Briefly plan what you hope to accomplish during the day.  Whether a to-do list or a few mental notes, this will help you maintain your motivation!

8.     Listen to music.

Dancing alone in your room to your favorite songs or some thought-provoking words for five minutes will set the tone for a positive morning. Try listening to a podcast or audible book as you get ready! 

Kryshonna is a senior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham majoring in marketing. She is passionate about food, creating, and finding small ways to be happy. When she isn't acting as the Campus Correspondent, she can be found catching dinner with friends, wandering around Birmingham, or catching up on Youtube. She has a new found love for the color baby pink along with a number of other things including: working out, boba tea, and fuzzy things. For inspiration and fashion posts, you can follow her on Instagram @kokokrys.  Schedule Schedule