6 Things To Know Before Going To College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Oh college, where the taste of freedom begins. You are away from your parents, you can stay up as late as you want, and the ability to do whatever you want. But why all of this is the best things that are apart of college, there are almost so other things that you must know about college before going. So whether you are an upcoming freshman or just entering college here are the 6 things you need to know before heading to college.

1. Do not expect your college roommate to be your best friend.

It is always hard on the first day to make friends so we tend to lean towards our roommate to be the person to hangout with, but as the months go by you might figure that your roommate is not the exact person you think they are. So, do not cling to your roommate. Go out and find other friends to hang out with because your roommate might not be the best friend that you hoped for.

2. If you are thinking about skipping class, do not do it.

The best thing about college is making out your schedule and picking when you are going to class, but this time your mom is not there to wake you to go to class. It is so easy to not go to class and just lay in bed to get some extra sleep. Skipping can really become habit when in college and a bad one at that. Go to class and try your best not to skip because who knows your professor just might count attendance for the day.

3. Know when to study and know when to party.

When coming to college all people want to do is party. Well, maybe not everyone but the first thing that comes to mind when you say college is party. Partying is fun and exciting because it is a night to let go of all the stress of that exam you failed or the stress of college in general. What if you have a test that friday night or that monday night? It is best to know when to party and when to study. If you want to party, sure go ahead but also know going to that party might cut into some of that studying time you need for that test.

4. Spend money wisely.

Everyone knows when you are going to college you are spending a lot of money. Money for books, food, clothes, air, and ect. Going to college you are definitely going to be going in your wallet a bunch. So make sure you know how to budget your money well so you do not end up broke.

5. Get Involved

College is a huge place filled with all types of people. Getting involved in college is important because it can help build your resume and help you meet friends along the way. Making sure to get involved on campus can you not feel like you are always stuck in your dorm all the time.

6. Don’t over stress yourself.

College is about having fun and learning who you truly are. Go out and take chances and risk and try to enjoy the times you have in college. Explore other majors, join an organization, go to basketball games, and hangout. Do not let the stress of college get to you because college is the time were you get to have fun before go to the adult world.

Jessica.Virgo.Dog Lover. Struggling College Student
HCUAB