This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

So many people these days claim to hate Valentine’s Day. But why?

Is it merely the fact that it’s a day to remind you that you may be single, or do you really just hate chocolate that much?

I, for one, have always loved Valentine’s Day. My earliest memories of the holiday go back to elementary school when we would decorate boxes and pass out cards and candies to everyone in the class. It was a day designated to pink, chocolate, flowers, and every other girly thing that I loved as a kid.

As I grew older, I learned to enjoy the holiday for other reasons too. Once I started liking boys, I would use the holiday as an excuse to daydream about my Prince Charming and surround myself in cheesy, lovey-dovey songs and movies that inspired me to be the hopeless romantic that I am.

Even today at 21 years old, I love Valentine’s Day. Though I may be lucky enough to have my own Prince Charming (yes, it is possible, ladies. Even for someone like me), I still use the holiday to celebrate all of the other people in my life that I love.

I don’t get to spend Valentine’s Day with my boyfriend. He lives in another state 6 hours away from Laramie. But I don’t let that ruin the holiday that I’ve always adored. I use this day to spoil my other loved ones, my roommates in particular. Who says you can’t have a “Pal-entines Day” and go on a date with your friends, anyway?

Whoever thinks Valentine’s Day is a day designated to only your significant other is living a sad lie. In my opinion, the day should be used to send love to anyone important in your life. Text your mom and tell her you love her. Write a cute note and stick it on your roommate’s mirror in the morning. Wear a red shirt and smile at someone. Don’t use this day as an excuse to sit at home with a glass of wine and cry over The Notebook. Save that for next Wednesday.

So this Valentine’s Day, try to cheer up a bit over the holiday. Don’t let the sappy couples get you down about your singleness. Hug your friend, get some pizza, and share the day with those who matter most to you.

“And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.” (1 Corinthians 13:13)

Cover, 1

Malorie is a senior at the University of Wyoming studying journalism and professional writing. Her dream is to be a non-profit magazine writer or news reporter. When she isn't behind the computer writing her next big article, you can usually find her on the back of a horse or lost in the mountains taking pictures (both with tacos in hand).
Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.