Why You Need to Read #GIRLBOSS Before April

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

In April, Netflix will release an original series called Girlboss. The premise of the show focuses on the rise of Sophia Amoruso. Who is Sophia Amoruso, you say? She started Nasty Gal, a retailer that got its start on eBay. Before Girlboss, there was #GIRLBOSS the book written by Amoruso. I highly recommend reading the book before the series is released in April. Reasons why you need to read #GIRLBOSS before the show airs on Netflix this spring:

Sophia Amoruso is hilarious.

Let’s be real, during the semester most of us barely have time to read a book for fun. However, it’s easy to carve out a little bit of time everyday to read a book with a humorous, insightful narrative. Sophia Amoruso makes the reading well worth your time.

Her story about starting Nasty Gal will surprise and excite you.

eBay, the beginning of Nasty Gal. Thrift shops, the original home of the items Amoruso sold.

She discusses leadership and hard work.

Two things needed for a successful business, leadership and the work. Throughout much of the book, Amoruso emphasizes the importance of hard work and continuously working hard. Of course, with the hard work comes leadership moments, especially when starting your own business.

Not everyone, in fact, most people aren’t just given the job they love. Amoruso wrote about the various crap jobs she had before Nasty Gal was even a thought.

We’ve all been there, whether it’s working retail or foodservice, we have all had jobs (or currently still do) that are not our ideal job choice.

She’s all about putting in the work to be successful.

Success does not come overnight. Back to that working hard and really investing time and energy.

Misadventures happen, but that’s okay because we can learn from them.

Amoruso’s stories about the various jobs she had and the places she’s lived shed some light on how success does not have a direct path. We all make mistakes, so learn from them. And try not make mistakes that result in breaking the law.

Embrace your personality.

Nasty Gal, as a brand, encourages individuality when it comes to personal style. Your style and personality tend to go together. Work it.Remember, style and fashion are not mutually exclusive.

You’ll be inspired to be a #GIRLBOSS.

Though, let’s be real, you probably are already one.

1

Emily Cornell

U Wyoming '17

Emily is a graduate of the University of Wyoming with a Bachelor's in Business Management and Master's in Communication. In terms of career, Emily interned for Wyoming Athletics, and wants to eventually work in sports marketing. When not working or in class, she can typically be found baking cheesecakes, drinking coffee, or having random adventures. If the idea of these three things seem exciting, you can follow her on Instagram or Twitter, username: emilproblems. 
Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.