Why Modern Dating is a Joke and Makes Me Want to Punch Myself in the Face

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Honestly, what’s up with modern dating today anyway? Oh yeah, that’s right it doesn’t exist. Dating now consists of one-night stands, hooking up just because and talking to guys that you know deep down will get your hopes up and never talk to you again, once they get what they want. Basically dating now is a waste of time, but we do it anyways cause we’re all hoping it will turn out to be something better. Cause it’s more fun to talk to someone or a few people, even if they’re jerks, then to not talk to anyone at all.  But seriously, let’s think about this for a moment, what the hell happened? Do people even go on dates anymore? If they do, does the person have some ulterior motive that if they take you on one or two dates, they’ll think that you will get the perspective that they are a “good one,” when really they are just buttering you up so you’ll eventually hook up with them? Probably yes.

Judge me if you want, but I think the whole idea of dating in today’s society, at least for the younger generations is so messed up. It’s not only messed up, but it’s sad. What happened to a guy having the courage to ask a girl on a date. To a guy having a massive crush on a girl and wanting to know more about her. To a guy actually being shy and nervous around a girl because they like her that damn much? To a guy only having eyes for one girl and bringing a girl flowers because it’s a sweet and romantic gesture. Really, what happened? Call me crazy, but I don’t think I’m asking for too much.

Personally, I would rather spend my time with one person who’s really f*** awesome, that I can travel and take road trips with, go on random adventures with, laugh with and be a complete weirdo around. So, I guess I’m writing this to somewhat vent about how upset I get about what the idea of dating means in our society today. According to most people, I guess you could call me an old-fashioned 20-something Grandma who still believes in romance. I wish I was born in a different decade where things like this didn’t take place. Where people respected and cared about each other and didn’t always have to go with the “what’s in it for me?” Mentality.  

This is why romance novels and movies exist people, because the sweet, romantic storylines that you see in books and movies are only meant for the imagination. They are only meant for people to secretly wish something like that would happen to them in real life. And the real reason we watch and read this type of genre is because we know it doesn’t happen in real life no matter how desperately we would like it to. After all, what would romance novels and movies be if they weren’t so perfect? So instead, we just live vicariously through the characters, at least I do anyway. I had a conversation with a friend a few weeks ago about this topic and she told me a really sweet, yet simple story about how her grandparents met.

She told me how much of an effort her Grandpa made towards her Grandma when courting her. He would take time to come visit her almost every weekend while she was in school, because they didn’t live in the same place, just because he wanted to see her. I had another friend who’s grandparents met by her Grandpa walking straight up to her Grandma at a diner asking her flat out for a date. She rejected him at first, but he didn’t give up because he liked her that much. They eventually got married. Now that, is romance. That is effort and that is what should happen. There’s a quote by writer Jill Robinson that states, “There’s too many mediocre things in life, love shouldn’t be one of them.” I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

Basically what I’m trying to say is girl keep doing you. Don’t talk to boys that are going to waste your time and don’t let them trick you into anything. Wait for someone that deserves you and actually gives a damn about who you are as a person and is not so focused on your physical appearance. Someone who gives you compliments that’s not just about your looks. So pretty much go with the line my friends and I always like to say…f*** them.

(Yes, yes you are.)

You definitely don’t need a guy to be happy, especially one that’s a loser. Worry about yourself, focus on self-love, your goals, your friends and your family. A person always has the opportunity to be happy and enjoy life, regardless of their relationship status. I promise.

Maybe I won’t ever get a happy ending, but I’m going to wait anyway, because I deserve it and so do you. But until then, I’d rather be alone.  

1, 2

cover

Hilary Lindell

U Wyoming '18

Hilary is a graduate from the University of Wyoming where she got her degree in Communications with a minor in Marketing. She is an avid coffee and tea drinker, enjoys fall, reading, traveling, golfing, fashion and random adventures. Originally a Wyoming native, she has always had a love for the ocean and wished she was a mermaid living near the sea.
Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.