We Are Her Campus: Kayla Schmidt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Name: Kayla Schmidt

Year: Sophomore

Degree Sought: BA in Elementary Education with a minor in Early Childhood Education

Hometown: Cheyenne, WY

Her Campus: Why did you decide to attend school at UW?

Kayla Schmidt: Ultimately the in-state tuition plus the Hathaway were too good to pass up. However, the education program is currently ranked #5 in the nation, so that’s super cool. I was also excited to be able to do marching band here.

HC: Why did you choose your degree?

KS: My junior year of high school I was able to take a class that allowed me to be in an elementary classroom and I fell in love with being there. It’s the best feeling in the world when you see a student finally get something that they’ve been struggling with.

HC: What is your dream job?

KS: Elementary teacher. I can’t picture doing anything else.

HC: What are some of your hobbies?

KS: Video games, reading, listening to music, watching movies & TV.

HC: What is your favorite class/professor at UW?

KS: My favorite class right now is my Literature for Children class. I get to read some awesome children’s books and it’s all around just a great class. My favorite professor is Tricia Johnson. She always makes sure to make herself available and works with you whenever you need it.

HC: What advice would you give to freshmen?

KS: My biggest piece of advice is don’t get into a serious relationship during your first week of college. I got into one literally the first weekend that I was here that lasted a little over a year and after that ended I really didn’t know how to do the solo college thing. So figure yourself out before you get into a serious relationship.

HC: Why did you join Her Campus?

KS: My friend told me that if I came to an HC meeting she’d bring me coffee. I never got my coffee, but I’m extremely glad that I joined.

HC: What is your favorite article/event/memory from HC?

KS: My favorite article that I’ve written is my “Ten Comments About my Body” one. I shared it on my Facebook and got quite a few shares/positive feedback about it from people that can relate with what I wrote/thought it was a good message to share. I just thought it was super cool that I could make an impact like that.

HC: Why would you encourage someone else to write for HC?

KS: It’s a great way to inspire others and just a great way to socialize with incredible people. It’s honestly just such a fun experience overall that I encourage anyone and everyone to at least come check it out if they can.

HC: What are you most looking forward to moving forward in HC?

KS: Meeting more amazing people and reading their content.

Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.
Kayla is a sophomore at the University of Wyoming studying Elementary Education. During football season, Kayla spends her time in the Western Thunder Marching Band Color Guard. She considers herself to be a pop-punk princess and is very obsessed with The Wonder Years and knows all the words and choreography to the DK Rap. The only things that keep her going at this point are unintentional naps and inhuman amounts of caffeine. Her spirit animal is Tiny Kong, also known as the second member of the DK Crew.