We Are Her Campus: Hailee Riddle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Name: Hailee Riddle

Year: Freshman

Degree Sought: Major in Psychology, Minor in Physiology

Hometown: Buffalo, Wyoming

Her Campus: Why did you decide to attend school at UW?

Hailee Riddle: Choosing UW seemed like a “no brainer” for me at the end of high school. The cost of attendance for in-state students, the small class sizes, and the fact that Laramie is only 300 miles from home were all big factors in me becoming a Poke. My parents are also alumni of the University of Wyoming and they had nothing but good things to say about this college.

HC: Why did you choose your degree?

HR: I initially chose my degree because I wanted to attend medical school and become a pediatrician. One microbiology class, along with some self reflection, and that all changed. With my current major in psychology, I hope to attend graduate school and apply to occupational therapy programs.

My little sister and I in Coeur d’alene, Idaho

HC: What is your dream job?

HR: My dream job would have to be something in the medical field. Throughout all of high school I wanted to become a pediatrician and now I am very intrigued by occupational therapy and the wide array of settings in which I could practice. (I also wouldn’t mind being a professional traveler)

HC: What are some of your hobbies?

HR: I love swimming, which I started in 5th grade. I enjoy kicking around a soccer ball and being competitive. I also love hiking, camping, and fishing; All of which are easy to do when your hometown is at the base of a mountain range.

Love Lock bridge in Paris, France

HC: What is your favorite class/professor at UW?

HR: I’ve only had two semesters here at UW, but so far my favorite class would have to be Developmental Psychology. This class is taught by Karen Bartsch Estes. I love learning about how children think and develop from very early ages.

HC: What advice would you give to freshmen?

HR: 

1. Take college one day at a time. It is a big change from the life you led previously and it can be “rocky” at times.

2. Find friends that care about you, but also challenge you. The only way we grow is by learning how to express ourselves while also understanding where other people are coming from.

3. Call your family. It’s okay to miss them. They miss you too.

4. Avoid being Ms. or Mr. Independent. Accept help from any and all that offer it. All they’re trying to do is make your new life a little easier.

HC: Why did you join Her Campus?

HR: I joined HerCampus because of one of my best friends from high school, Sara Ott. I used to read all of her articles. When I asked her about HC, she invited me to the first meeting and I’ve been here ever since.

HC: What is your favorite article/event/memory from HC?

HR: My favorite article that I have read is “You Call Yourself a Feminist” by Emily Cornell. Emily is such an amazing writer and she is not afraid to tell it how it is. My favorite article that I have written is called “I Am Proud of You”. There are so many wonderful people in my life and I wanted to find a way to show them exactly how much they mean to me and that they’re accomplishing wonderful things.

HC: Why would you encourage someone else to write for HC?

HR: I would encourage people to write for HC because this group is so accepting. Even if you don’t pump out articles every week, they are constantly encouraging you, and giving you a platform to express yourself. Being in HC has made me a more confident woman.

HC: What are you most looking forward to moving forward in HC?

HR: I look forward to welcoming new people to HC and continuing to write whatever pleases me.

Adventures

SaveSave

Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.
Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016