Top 5 Ryan Gosling Movies That Aren’t The Notebook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Okay, ladies (and some gents), there is no denying the craze that is Ryan Gosling and it makes sense. I mean, he kind of is the whole package. He can act, sing, dance, play the piano/ukulele and he pretty much has the face of an angel. I was lucky enough to have a friend in high school who led me to the wonderful world of Ryan Gosling, and trust me, there is much more to him than his role in “The Notebook” and that is why I have compiled a list of Ryan Gosling’s top five movies.

5. All Good Things

This is one of the best examples of what Gosling can do when it comes to acting. In this movie we get to see a darker side to Gosling with some quirks sprinkled in as well. For example, we see Gosling cross dress, which is something I didn’t think would happen based on his role in The Notebook. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Gosling break out of the cliché, dreamy role he was put in.

4. The Place Beyond the Pines

If there’s one thing that makes me sad, it is that Ryan Gosling is a taken man. However, Eva Mendes plays alongside Gosling in The Place Beyond the Pines and, honestly, I love it. The chemistry that they share on the screen is pretty great, but not necessarily when compared to Gosling’s chemistry with Emma Stone, which I’ll get to later. When I first saw The Place Beyond the Pines, I wasn’t sure that the bleach blonde hair would work for me, but, boy did it.

3. Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Anyone who knows me, knows I absolutely love Crazy, Stupid, Love. I own two copies of the movie. Seriously, the amount that I love this movie is crazy and stupid. I mean, how could you possibly go wrong with Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone and Steve Carrell?! The answer: you cannot. This is one of those movies that I can put on at any time and laugh just as hard as I did the first 200 times I watched it and it will continue to be this way for the next 200 times.

2. La La Land

Where do I begin? La La Land has easily become one of my absolutely favorite musicals I have seen to date. It was shot beautifully, the music was amazing and I left the theater (all three times) feeling enchanted. The movie was done so well that I even have a new found interest in jazz music all because of Gosling’s character, Seb. For God’s sake, Gosling took the time to learn the piano for this role and he does an amazing job at it. If you haven’t seen this one yet, you need to stop what you’re doing right now and go see it. Seriously. You will not regret it for one second.

1. Blue Valentine

This is seriously the most underrated film of his. Gosling’s acting in this movie blows me away every time I watch it. The emotions he projects while going through a failing marriage are so raw that it feels like I’m going through the heartbreak with him every time. Between the harsh reality of falling out of love and watching him fall in love in flashbacks, it’s hard not to fall more in love with Gosling as a human and actor. This is the first movie I recommend to anyone who either likes Gosling already or needs a reason to respect him as an actor. A bonus is that it doesn’t have a happy ending, which is what I prefer.

Also, if you need another reason to love Ryan Gosling, here’s a video to help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGFRG09sHag

1. 2. 3. 4. 5.

SaveSave

Jamie was born and raised in Wyoming, with a new found love for the town of Laramie. She is a junior studying journalism and hopes to write for a magazine. Music and coffee fuel her life, so she can be found at a local coffee shop or supporting her local music scene. She is also an avid football fan and doesn't miss a chance to watch a Baltimore Ravens game. She hopes to be able to tell the stories of interesting individuals as a career someday.