bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Staying Healthy and Happy: The Inside Scoop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

As finals approach, certain aspects of our lives become less of a priority. All around health seems to be the big thing we lose track of. Physical, mental and emotional well-being (to name a few) take a hit after week ten of classes. Motivation runs low, and patience becomes almost nonexistent. Facing the last month of classes seems mildly intimidating, yet you know you’re so close to breathing that sigh of relief. Take a deep breath now, Pokes, it’ll help alleviate the stress of the next few weeks. Do it for your mental health, emotional health, and overall physical health. Without your health, accomplishing everything can seem very overwhelming. So here’s to taking care of your overall well-being!

Mental & Emotional

Take time to yourself, and don’t apologize for it. We’re so afraid of being alone, yet for the rest of your life there is one person guaranteed to be with you for every moment of it: yourself. Mentally and emotionally, having time to yourself creates an opportunity for you to just be you. We’re ourselves with our friends, but sometimes we need to take the time for self-reflection. Do something that makes you happy every day–whether it’s for five minutes or three hours, the mental benefits are unparalleled. Especially during stressful times, it is so easy to get caught up in everything going on. Around this time in the semester every RSO and activity is in full swing, but some days you have to decide what will be best for you in the long-run. Don’t sacrifice your well-being for something as small as a meeting. Some days you just need to curl up in bed with a book and a cup of tea, and work harder tomorrow.

Physical

As enticing Coe Library may be to stay at from 7am to midnight, have dinner, and then go home and get some sleep. You’ll perform better, have a more positive attitude, and decrease the likelihood of getting sick. Being hangry, stressed and tired is never the recipe for success. Yes, I know, you’ve heard this a billion times. Eat well (we’re talking three meals a day and snacks as needed, and don’t forget to hydrate!), and get some sleep, even when you feel like you have a hundred other things you need to be doing. You’ll make better choices in general, so take that power nap and eat that snack. Don’t rely so heavily on caffeine, if you can avoid it. Listen to your body–stress affects it, so do good things for it.

The time of year doesn’t matter, you should always be concerned with your own physical, mental and emotional health. Take time to develop habits to maintain your health because you will carry those habits with you into the real. Everyone has different techniques that help keep them balanced, but it’s finding which ones work for you and then putting those techniques into practice that matter at the end of the day.  

Emily Cornell

U Wyoming '17

Emily is a graduate of the University of Wyoming with a Bachelor's in Business Management and Master's in Communication. In terms of career, Emily interned for Wyoming Athletics, and wants to eventually work in sports marketing. When not working or in class, she can typically be found baking cheesecakes, drinking coffee, or having random adventures. If the idea of these three things seem exciting, you can follow her on Instagram or Twitter, username: emilproblems.