Reasons to Celebrate Super Bowl Sunday If You Hate Football

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Honestly, if you tried to explain football to me I’d probably tune out because it’s just not enjoyable for me. Every time the game is stopped (which is literally every five seconds) I lose interest more and more. With the Super Bowl right around the corner, it’s hard to get in the football spirit considering it’s such a boring sport. But! Fear not, if you’re like me, I’m here to tell you there are *so* many other things to be excited about when it comes to the Super Bowl.

1) The commercials

via GIPHY

This is every non-football fan’s dream. Even though commercials are normally super annoying, the ones on Super Bowl Sunday are always hilarious. It’s always fun to tune in and see which commercial makes you laugh the hardest. (My money’s on Doritos).

2) The parties

via GIPHY

Every year, someone I know is throwing a party and they are always a good time. Even if you don’t know what’s happening throughout majority of the game, having company around is always a great way to spend a Sunday. So gather some friends and tune in, or go to a party someone you know is throwing. 

3) The snacks 

via GIPHY

Bring on the chips and dip, jalapeno poppers and wings. I always love snacking, but the food the Super Bowl brings out is always so freaking good. I spend majority of the Super Bowl at the snack table because it annoys everyone if I keep going back and forth from the couch. I have no shame in pulling up a chair with a view of the TV and hanging with the chips. No need to waste a plate, am I right?

4) Two words: Justin. Timberlake.

via GIPHY

I love me some JT and I know I’m not the only one. Since he’s the halftime entertainment, I can’t help but be super exciting to see what he does. Whether he plays a medley or one of his new songs, I know it will be amazing. If you don’t watch any other parts of the Super Bowl, at least tune in for Timberlake. The man is super talented-and who knows-maybe he’ll play some *NSYNC jams. 

5) The tweets

via GIPHY

Tuning into Twitter on Super Bowl Sunday is always fun because everyone has different reactions to the commercials and plays during the game. I’m sure we can expect some gold from Chrissy Teigen and that’s worth it on its own.

6) It’s an escape from schoolwork

via GIPHY

Sundays are usually dedicated to homework, so by the time the game rolls around, it’s time for a brain break. Spending time with some friends watching the Super Bowl, even if it is just for the commercials, is a great way to focus your attention on something other than studying.

Whatever you decide to do for Super Bowl Sunday, I hope it’s amazing. Football isn’t for everyone, but maybe one of these reasons will get you to tune in and enjoy the evening.

Cover

Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.