Meet HC Wyoming: Hilary Lindell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Name: Hilary Lindell

Major: Communication w/ a Minor in Marketing

Class Standing: Senior

Role in HC: Writer

Why did you join HC?

I first heard about HC while taking one of my Public Relations classes. I was searching for a client to write press releases on and asked if HC could be my client. After attending a few meetings, I thought it was a great RSO and would be fun to join. I also have always wanted to write more or have my own blog and this was a great opportunity to do that.

What do you love about HC?

Everyone in this organization is a very genuine, encouraging and nice person. Members of HC Wyoming make you feel welcome whether it is the first time you attend one of their meetings or have been a member for a semester. It is also a very non-judgmental place when it comes to topic ideas for writing. Everyone respects everyone else’s views, opinions and values.

What’s one thing about you that surprises people?

I’ve had a few of my friends over the years, tell me that they were surprised when they found out I was a Wyoming native and have lived here all my life. Apparently I don’t seem like a Wyoming gal, which in a way makes sense because I’ve always wanted to live in a city somewhere else.

Who, or what, is your biggest inspiration?

I don’t necessarily have a particular person who is my biggest inspiration, but whenever I come across people whether its someone I know personally, or have never met before, if they show perseverance, after having gone through obstacles in their life, and gracefully overcome those struggles, are the type of people that have always seemed to inspire me. It amazes me how some of the happiest people you meet, tend to have gone through the most in their lives.

What are your favorite things to do in your free-time?

I love to travel whenever I can, but usually you can find me hanging out with friends, reading a book, enjoying a cup of coffee or tea or going on some random adventure.

When you go to a coffee shop, what drink do you order?

Anything hazelnut, caramel or lavender flavored, that’s a latte or macchiato.

What quote inspires you and why?

I like a lot of quotes but if I had to choose one, it would be…”You weren’t given a good life or a bad life, you were given a life. It’s up to you to make it good or bad.” I really enjoy this quote because not only is it true, but whatever things life throws your way it’s not about what happened to you, but how you react to it. This quote helps me remind myself that I’m in control of any situation and whether or not I’m going to react to it positively, become stronger and continue to grow as a person because of it.

Knowing what you know now, what advice would you give your 18-year-old self?

Don’t worry so much. It’s okay if you don’t have everything figured out, whether it’s your college major, where you’re going to live, what people think, yourself etc. Everyone comes to a point in their life where they don’t know an answer to something. I’ve always been the kind of person that at least had some idea, plan or goal for the future. When my plan began to become less focused and more broad I freaked out. Don’t freak out, it is not the end of the world. As long as you keep going and have somewhat of an idea on where you’re headed, things will eventually fall into place.

If you could instantly become an expert in something, what would it be?

I’ve always wished I was more creative in terms of painting, drawing, etc. So probably be an expert in something like that or what I want to do for a career, which is PR and Marketing.

What does success mean to you?

For me personally, success means doing anything that is going to make YOU happy. If you have a particular lifestyle, career, whatever, as long as you’re happy and passionate about what you’re doing, that to me, is success.

Where is your happy place?

Unfortunately, I don’t live anywhere near one, but I love the beach. Going to the beach makes me feel calm and at peace. Otherwise anywhere I’m with my friends, a coffee shop, road trip, or taking a drive up the mountain, I’m happy.

If you could invite 3 people, dead or alive, to a dinner party, who would they be, and why?

I would invite Audrey Hepburn, an inspirational writer like Elizabeth Gilbert or someone and my best friend Holly. I’d invite Audrey Hepburn because I’ve always liked her and some films that she starred in, so it would be awesome to meet her. I’d choose an inspirational writer because I’ve always enjoyed reading inspirational books about living your best life, self-love, etc. and just think it would be neat to talk to an author in person about those topics. Lastly, I would choose my best friend because having her around is always a good time and she would enjoy conversing with the two people mentioned above just as much as I would.  

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Hopefully, living on the East Coast or somewhere beyond Wyoming, working in Public Relations and Marketing for a company that I’m passionate about.

Finally, why should anyone reading this join HC?

If you haven’t already noticed how cool an organization like HC is, it is great for someone who wants to get involved with writing, marketing, event planning and social media. It’s a pretty relaxed RSO, something interesting you can put on your resume and is fun!

Any other thoughts?

If you’re still unsure about joining HC, come to one of our weekly meetings to see how it really is and find out more information!

Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.
Hilary Lindell

U Wyoming '18

Hilary is a graduate from the University of Wyoming where she got her degree in Communications with a minor in Marketing. She is an avid coffee and tea drinker, enjoys fall, reading, traveling, golfing, fashion and random adventures. Originally a Wyoming native, she has always had a love for the ocean and wished she was a mermaid living near the sea.