Growing Up a Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

When I was 5, I sang Britney Spears’ “Hit Me Baby One More Time” in class. When a boy actually hit me, I was told singing that song wasn’t appropriate at school.

When I was 6, a boy in my class inappropriately touched me. I told the teacher and was in turn taught, “boys will be boys.”

When I was 8, I joined the co-ed flag football team. I was the only girl in the league. Every week mothers told me that “football is a boy’s sport.” It was the first, and last time I played.

When I was 10, I started to dance jazz. There were a few boys in the class, and I was beginning to develop. One night they pointed out my changing body, and I spent the rest of class trying to dance with my arms across my chest. After class, I asked my mom to stick solely to my all-girl tap class… and to get a real bra.

When I was 12, I packed my own lunches for school. The contents only ever consisted of a water bottle.

When I was 13, I slapped a boy across the face for slapping my ass in the hall. I was lectured by a nearby teacher. He walked away innocently.

When I was 15, I let a boy destroy my confidence and self-esteem. I called it love.

When I was 16, “friends” told me they always thought I would be pregnant at 16. I was a virgin.

When I was 17, I stayed hours after dance class and put myself on a high protein diet. I convinced myself that my weight determined how good of a dancer I was.   

When I was 18, while on campus tours, I was told where every safety light was on campus, and not to take drinks from strangers at parties.

When I was 20, I told him he was hurting me. He told me I was fine, held me down, and continued.

When I was 21, I told my boss about being sexually harassed by some customers. He suggested I start wearing looser fitting jeans.  

At 22, I discovered my voice, and my driving force behind it. I will use my voice for the little girl afraid to speak out against a boy. I will use my voice for the woman beside me who has been silenced too long. I will use my voice for my future daughter, who will dream with confidence, because nobody associated her gender with her ability to achieve success.  I will use my voice until I have none. And together, our voices will be heard. 

1

Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.