5 Ways to De-Stress Before Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Ah, the last week of school. Students are screaming, crying, and doing anything possible to get low grades up before *dun dun dun* FINALS WEEK!

Luckily for you, I have decided to share some of my strategies on how to make coping with “Hell Week” a little bit easier. Remember, Cs get degrees!

1. Get Some Comfort Food

This is one week that you are likely stressed to the max. You shouldn’t have to worry about eating healthy, that might stress you out even more. Worry about the gym and healthy food after you’ve gotten those awesome grades, but don’t forget to treat yourself with some ice cream first.

2. Snuggle Up With Your Dog/Cat, Or Your Friend’s Dog/Cat

There is nothing worse than not having a furry friend while you’re in college *trust me I know the feeling.* Their excited smiles, wagging tails, or purring can make our bad day turn awesome. Relax a bit and hug your dog/cat. If you don’t have one, make a friend with someone who does and borrow their furry friend.

Picture by Megan Lord, her dog Molly

3. Have A Night With Your Friends

Yeah, you may have a lot of studying to do, but none of that can get done if you don’t hang out with your friends before you descend into madness. Laughing is a super effective way to alleviate stress, and if you have some great friends, that won’t be so hard to do. Get some more junk food with them and have a night in, even if it is only for a few hours.

4. Watch Your Favorite Movie/T.V. Show/Netflix Series

This is always a major need for me during each finals week. I have survived through almost 6! Sit down and watch your favorite flick. No matter which way you enjoy it. You could even try something new and watch some good YouTube videos. This gives you a 2-3 hour window to stop thinking about your papers and let your brain unwind before going back to the grind.

5. Spend Time Actually Studying

I know what you’re thinking, “Studying just stresses me out more, you said this was a listicle about de-stressing.” Listen, in the long run, studying for your final is going to help you. Don’t do it for hours on end, just in little stretches of time and reward yourself every so often. Give your mind time to recuperate and keep going, so that you don’t end up like a zombie.

Now get out there and crush those finals like the little geniuses I know you are!

1, 2, 4, 5, 6

Megan Lord

U Wyoming '19

Megan is a senior at the University of Wyoming. She is a Secondary Education/Social Studies major with a focus in History. Her hometown is Rock Springs, Wyoming, just 200 miles west of Laramie. Megan loves being outdoors and avidly hunts with her grandpa and fiancé. Her free-time includes; diamond painting, crafting for her wedding, writing her blog, working out, riding horses, and riding motorcycles.
Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.