nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things That Set Me Free

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Do you have any type of activities, hobbies or other things that you either do on a daily basis or whenever you have the time? Is there anything that just brings that sense of peace and free-like quality within you? For me, there’s just a few things that will never get old and will always bring me happiness whenever I do it.

1) Going to the beach.

Yes I know, we live in Wyoming. Yet, there is something to appreciate when you go to the ocean. Maybe it’s the never ending rows of blue-green waves crashing over one another. Or perhaps the anticipation and enjoyment of finding the prettiest seashells. Maybe it’s the shimmering sunlight hitting the water, or the crystal-like sand, squishing between your toes. Maybe it’s the endless miles of walking along the shore, or the fire-gold sunsets. Whatever it is, I find it to be a place of tranquility. A place that makes you certain that everything will be okay.

2) Driving with no destination.

I don’t know what it is, but taking a drive with no destination is always a free feeling for me. When I was younger I would take long drives at night and listen to music, whenever I was feeling sad and wanted to be alone. I never had a particular chosen place I’d end up. I just kept driving.

3) Reading a good book.

There’s just something so calm and relaxing about reading a good book. Being secluded in your room, home, coffee shop, bookstore or library, immersed in an entirely different world is freeing. Being in awe of the interesting characters and their stories, takes your mind off the worries and craziness of everyday life.

4) Being with friends.

I absolutely love being with my best friend and all of my close friends. Hanging out with my friends makes me feel free to be myself. Joking around, laughing until our stomachs hurt and being our weird selves is one of my favorite things to do. Whether I’m having late night conversations over a cup of tea or coffee with my best friend, 2:00 a.m. breakfast runs, mountain drives or anything else, I’m enjoying myself.

5) Traveling.

It doesn’t matter where I’m traveling to. As long as I’m leaving on a road trip or flight, I feel free. I love to travel to different places, especially ones I’ve never been to before. It’s so much fun to see all kinds of nature, lifestyles and people wherever you go. I get so excited whenever I get to go somewhere and explore the unfamiliar.   

Hilary Lindell

U Wyoming '18

Hilary is a graduate from the University of Wyoming where she got her degree in Communications with a minor in Marketing. She is an avid coffee and tea drinker, enjoys fall, reading, traveling, golfing, fashion and random adventures. Originally a Wyoming native, she has always had a love for the ocean and wished she was a mermaid living near the sea.
Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.