3 Theories About American Horror Story’s New Season: “My Roanoke Nightmare”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

The creators of American Horror Story did a great job of keeping us in the dark when it came to what the theme for this season would be. And even after this first episode, some of us are still wondering what it’s all about. They did give us a hint however, the title: My Roanoke Nightmare. And although we probably all know about the lost colony in North Carolina, my gut tells me that this season might be a lot more twisted than that, or maybe not have anything to do with what we expect. Luckily, my roommates are just as obsessed as I am, and they helped me do some research. We went all over google trying to find theories that actually made sense, we didn’t really see much aside from vague connections. This is what we found:

There won’t be a set theme.

One of my roommates said that she thinks there won’t be just one theme throughout this season, which is why there was no title sequence. So many teaser trailers were aired before the show started that it had us all confused. At one point, the rumor was that only ONE of those videos was related to the sixth season. But it seems to me like there’s more than that. The trailers didn’t make sense if you tried to put them together. So this theory might actually be a good one.

It’s just one theme but all the teasers are true.

The is also the possibility that the whole season will be based around Shelby and Matt Miller. But what we were told about the trailer was not true. They are actually connected. In the first episode we saw teeth falling from the sky, a woman almost being drowned and a house in the middle of nowhere. Although the similarities are not explicit, we did see some those elements in the promos. There are still about 23 trailers left, which means that some crazy shiz is about to happen to this couple.

Lady Gaga’s new song Perfect Illusion might have some clues.

Another one of my roommates also read that this cast member’s newly released song may give us small hints as to what this season will be about. When we hear this song, it’s clearly a love song. But the show’s creator have seriously gone out of their way this season, to confuse us and have created “a perfect illusion”. Some people might think they know what this whole season is about but the truth is, maybe we don’t, like at all.  We think Matt and Shelby are victims. But it might all be a lie. One of them could be lying. So far Shelby has been the one to experience all the crazy things, so maybe she’s behind it? WE DON’T KNOW

These are all super vague, and you probably have a lot more questions that what you started out with, I know I do. But I would actually love to see any one of these theories played out in this year’s season.

Sarah Ott

U Wyoming

Sara is a senior Marketing major at the University of Wyoming. She is a Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent of Wyoming's Her Campus chapter, along with President of the Student Alumni Association, and Director of Marketing for ASUW Student Government. When she's not having mental breakdowns from stress, she enjoys cuddling with her roommate's cat and hiding under a mound of blankets. All she really wants is to live somewhere where it's warm year round and to not be berated for her massive tea consumption. To check out her ridiculous and crazy life, check out her Instagram, username: twigott