jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Your Holiday Drink List From Starbucks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Christmas time is here and so are exams! While we know you’re not particularly enthusiastic about the second activity, one of the great things about having exams in December means you can enjoy all the holiday favourites from Starbucks while you’re studying! Let’s run through the six Christmas beverages that you can rely on to help you survive:

1. Gingerbread latte

Need a taste of childhood? Gingerbread lattes take an old classic – the gingerbread cookie – and add some creamy coffee and a sweet crunchy topping. With a hint of spice, this treat takes you back to the good old days where papers and exams were replaced by colouring books and spelling tests, sigh…

2. Salted Caramel Mocha*

Mixing salty and sweet has been a popular trend in the past few years and I can totally see why. It’s honestly kind of an ingenious combination: warm, creamy chocolate and coffee mixed with some sweet caramel, balanced by the sharp contrast of the sea salt. It’s a great mix of flavours if you aren’t sure what you’re craving. And I promise you this drink definitely satisfies.

3. Chestnut Praline Latte*

Given that this is the newest addition to the holiday drink list, I thought it imperative that I mention it here. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect with this drink – whether I was actually going to taste the nuttiness or whether it would just be a nice sweet latte. I must say I was surprised. It starts of with a light sweet taste of latte and toffee but as you swallow, your taste buds are hit with the distinct taste of praline and chestnut. It is definitely a bolder drink and much less sweet than what you’d expect but if you are up for the taste test challenge, I definitely recommend it.

4. Caramel Brule Latte*

When you are just totally not in the study zone or you are not in the mood for student life in general, it is definitely time for one of these babies. Probably the sweetest of all the holiday drinks, this latte is packed with delicious caramel and toffee flavour (and it’s topped with crunchy candy!). This is one of those no convincing required drinks – if you’re craving sugar, then you are home.

5. Eggnog Latte

This latte I find is also more distinct in flavour and as such some people love it and others find it odd. I personally grew up drinking eggnog by the carton during the holiday season so for me this drink combines two of my favourite things: eggnog and coffee. Simple and so perfect.

6. Peppermint Mocha* (I like saving the best for last)

Admittedly, this is my all time favourite and holiday go-to. While I enjoy mint throughout the year, there is something about the taste of peppermint that makes me dream about candy canes and Christmas. Another fantastic thing about this drink is that it is available in a ‘skinny’ version, which basically cuts the calorie content by half so it can be a not so guilty pleasure! Warm and sweet, this is a drink for the cold winter nights, the long studious days, and basically everything in between.

Friendly Cheats:

– If you can’t make it to Starbucks but are desperately craving a holiday special, the Bibliocafe also serve their own holiday drink list (including a Peppermint Mocha) so fear not!

– For anyone not interested in a hot drink and needing something cool for the throat, all the drinks listed above with an asterisk (*) are available as a Frappuccino!

– Anyone who is lucky enough to not be addicted to caffeine (I admire your willpower) or just doesn’t love coffee, both the Peppermint Mocha and Salted Caramel Mocha are available as hot chocolate too!

– And remember:

Elizabeth is an undergraduate psychology student at the University of Victoria. She is a lover of the performing arts, the Avengers, comfort food, and tall tall shoes. Hailing from Ontario, Elizabeth looks forward to soaking up the West Coast sunshine, sipping Flat Whites, and getting to know the Greater Victoria community. 
Originally from Calgary, Alberta, Melissa Guenette currently studies business at the University of Victoria's Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. When she's not studying for midterms or finals, Melissa enjoys reading Harry Potter, being out in nature, and considers herself a connoisseur for all things dessert related. With her dry sense of humour and charismatic personality, she often leaves a room in stitches, a quality she considers beneficial while working on HerCampus' UVic Chapter. Follow her on Twitter @MelGuenette.