Why You Should Play Dungeons and Dragons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

You open your eyes in a dark forest and find yourself face to face with an 8-foot-tall werewolf. He’s menacingly lifting his claws and baring his fangs, ready to attack. You’ve already used up all your attacks and bonus attacks and barely made a scratch. Out of the corner of your eye, you see an orc and a dragonborn raise their weapons, and all you can do is pray that they’re aiming at the werewolf  – and that they roll a nat 20. Wait, what?  

Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons – a world where literally anything is possible. Growing up, I watched portrayals of D&D in TV shows like Community and The Big Bang Theory, but to be completely honest, I never saw myself as someone who would enjoy something like that. I mean, sure, I liked reading the occasional fantasy novel, and Harry Potter was my entire life (it still is, tbh), but my arrogant teenage ass thought I was too grown-up to sit around and play make believe.

Then, about a year and a half ago, I met an amazing group of people who introduced me to Dungeons and Dragons. We started playing once a week, and as the story progressed, I was hooked. Here’s what happens at each session: there is one Dungeon Master and about 5-8 players. The DM concocts a story with a fantasy setting and adds a few non-player characters (or NPCs) that he controls. Once the quest has begun, it is the DMs job to guide the characters through their various adventures; the characters in turn choose their fates, their decisions aided (or hindered) by the roll of a dice.

The thrill of building your own character and watching them grow, forming alliances, and conquering monsters is unparalleled – so much so that it had me wondering why there weren’t more players. First of all, you get to form lasting bonds with some of the smartest, funniest, and most talented individuals on campus – I speak from personal experience. Plus, not only is it a platform to practice and showcase your creativity, but it also forces you to think on your feet and hone your improvisation skills – a trait that is quintessential in today’s fast-paced world. But, at the end of the day, the main reason I play D&D is because it’s fun. And I think you should too.

Victoria’s Dungeons and Dragons community is growing at a rapid pace, and it’s easy to see why. So if you have a knack for creativity and want to meet some awesome new people, try your hand at D&D!

Don’t know any Dungeon Masters? No problem! Like the Victoria D&D Facebook page, and they’ll keep you updated on when they’re hosting the next session.

Who knows? Maybe you’ll end up slaying a demogorgon on your first day out!

Or maybe just a goblin, for starters…

Sources: 1/2/3/4

Her Campus @ UVic is not affiliated with or sponsored by Wizards of the Coast or Victoria D&D.

Brishti is a third year student at the University at Victoria majoring in History and minoring in Economics. In her spare time, she likes to read, write, play D&D, and pet every dog she meets! She belongs to several different fandoms, including (but not limited to) Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Gilmore Girls and Supernatural. Her current favourite book is Haruki Murakami's 'Norwegian Wood', and she aspires to be an investigative journalist someday.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison