Joey Vaesen: Rotaract President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Joey Vaesen is a student at the Gustavson School of Business, where he is specializing in Service Management and Entrepreneurship. Currently, he is gearing up to finish his last semester in the summer as well as his term as President of the Rotaract Club of Victoria.

The Rotaract Club of Victoria is a young professional branch of Rotary International. Rotaract is a community organization that brings young leaders together to exchange ideas and act in their communities through various local and international projects. As one of two presidents, Joey helps to coordinate the executives and board while ensuring that the club is reaching its goals. Joey is happy to have seen the club grow in membership and is grateful for all the hard work members put in over the year.

Giving back to the community is an important aspect of Joey’s life. One opportunity that Joey feels fortunate to have participated in is the Rotary Connecting for Good tour. For two weeks in November, Joey and a team of four other Rotary members traveled through the West Coast of the United States connecting with clubs in each region and performing several community service projects. More about Joey’s unforgettable experience can be found on the Gustavson blog.

People who know Joey would describe him as kind and fun loving. He’s a guy who really has his life together! When he isn’t organizing meetings or marking assignments for his TA position, Joey can be found spending time with friends, curling, or exploring the beauty of BC. Originally from Shawnigan Lake, Joey likes to spend time visiting his family members, especially when it comes to supporting his brothers and their love for sports.

Post-graduation, Joey hopes to gain more experience in project management. During his eight-month co-op term with the BC Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, Joey realized how much he enjoyed being part of a project from beginning to end. He feels very fortunate to have been exposed to the government side of business. In the near future, Joey sees himself continuing to work and live in Victoria. In addition, Joey plans to continue and grow his involvement within Rotary International.  With his determination, professional skills, and passion for helping others, Joey is sure to excel!

If you see Joey around campus, make sure to say hey! 

Femi Tunde-Oladepo is in her final year at the University of Victoria where she is studying at the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. After her undergrad, Femi hopes to read law and master French, Spanish and Italian. She is an active volunteer in her community and enjoys working with the Rotaract Club on campus. Having filled numerous notebooks as a child, Femi adores writing — especially short stories. She likes to dance (spontaneously), listen to all genres of music, laugh loudly and be the sassiest person in a room. In her spare time, Femi likes to window shop online, go for runs and reorganize spaces. One day, Femi hopes to perfect the art of soft pretzels. Follow her on Instagram @femzieb to see her attempts at being artsy and pensive.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison