This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Whether you are new to Victoria or you have been a local all of your life, as winter approaches, we all know that it is going to become more and more difficult to plan our nights out. The rain, the wind, and occasionally, the snow can all be obstacles in our way of being dressed to the nines, while also keeping ourselves warm. Heels or no heels? Skirt or pants?  Since most of us struggle with these choices, here is a compilation of tips and tricks.

1. Layer up and use the coat-check

Even though you may think that it’s a drag to have to lug a coat, scarf and other accessories to the club, looking into whether or not it has a coat check will really help. Even though sometimes it might be pricey, staying warm when out and about is key to a good night. If you are waiting an hour and a half outside Lucky’s, a hug me tight sweater with a body-con dress won’t do the trick.

2. Wear tights and bring solid shoes

If you are wearing a dress or a skirt that night, as much as tights may not be everyone’s cup of tea, it can really help you keep warm. And as for the shoes, if it’s rainy or slushy out, shoes without good grip and support may lead you face-first into a muddy puddle.

3. Bring an umbrella if the forecast is for rain

Victorians know that we get rain in the winter, that’s just a given. Being prepared well will make your night a thousand times better.

What do you wear when you go out in the winter? Here are some cute winter clubbing looks to give you some ideas! Happy clubbing!

Sources: 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9/10

Megan Thompson is a third year student at University of Victoria who is completing a degree in Hispanic Studies. She is currently the Outreach Director for her chapter, and after she graduates from UVic she intends to pursue a law degree at either UBC or UVic. 
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison