kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fitness Tips for Summer 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Even though it seems like winter barely ended, summer’s just around the corner. With the semester coming to an end, we will hopefully have some time to get back to (or start) a new fitness regime. You don’t have to be aiming for a certain look in order to feel good this summer. Whether you want to lose weight or just tone up, here are some tips to get you to get motivated and fit this summer.

Motivation

Motivation is really the hardest part of getting in shape. Getting yourself to the gym or to eat a healthy, balanced diet always seems to be the hardest part of starting a fitness regime.

Get Ready: On days that I don’t feel like going to the gym and I’m resistant to get my workout done, I can always rely on one trick: putting on my workout clothes. Once the clothes are on, I tell myself I’ll do ten minutes of exercise, whether it’s at the gym, at home, or  outside. After ten minutes, I can judge if I want to stop or keep going (spoiler alert! I have yet to quit once using this method). This trick works because after forcing yourself to start, you won’t want to feel defeated and stop. Just remember that the hardest part is getting started!

Social Media: There will be days when you’re feeling uninspired to get a workout in. Thankfully, Tumblr, Pinterest, and Instagram exist and are perfect places to go to spark a little inspiration. Keep yourself inspired by scrolling through fitness accounts or reading motivational quotes; either can give you a little bit of momentum and get you up and active!

Reward Yourself: Have an incentive to help you stick to a fitness routine. Buy yourself some cute new workout gear, or tell yourself that you’ll gift yourself a new outfit or swimsuit once you’ve reached your goals.

Set a Realistic Goal: So you want to have killer six pack in less than two months? You’re striving to look live a Victoria Secret model? These goals are too broad and unrealistic. When you set goals that are farfetched and unattainable, it is more than likely that you’ll feel discouraged and give up. Set clear, realistic goals that make you work to feel accomplished (e.g. “I want to be able to do ten pull ups by the end of summer.”) Setting goals like these help you feel accomplished while making you work towards your goals a fitter physique.

Get Moving!

Get Outside, Go Explore: Working out doesn’t have to be done in a gym. Especially in beautiful B.C, there are many mountains to hike, hills to climb, and sights to see. There’s no reason to limit yourself to the indoors.  Hiking or even just walking outdoors is a great way to expend some energy and hang out with friends.

Group Classes: Your workouts should be fun, not chores that you constantly dread. Group fitness classes are the perfect way to get in shape. The group atmosphere can help push you beyond what you can achieve by yourself. It’s also a great way to get a taste of different types of workouts. From spin classes to Zumba, boot camps to Tabatha, group fitness is a great way to get a good sweat on.

Cardio and Weights: Cardio is great for the cardiovascular system. It helps keep the heart healthy, but spending an endless amount of time running on the treadmill will only get you so far. Try resistance training and lifting weights to help build muscle. Muscle helps you look tight and toned, and it even burns more calories while at rest!

Diet

Food is fuel for the body. For optimal function, our bodies deserve to be running on nutrient-dense, healthy foods. By now, I’m sure we’ve all heard the saying “abs are made in the kitchen.” You can work out all you want, but without having a diet that supports your goals, it’ll be hard to see great results.

Water: Our bodies are made up of roughly seventy percent water. It’s important to keep hydrated since water helps the body function efficiently and boosts our energy. Try to drink a baseline of eight cups a day, and add a cup accordingly the more you’ve sweat. People often confuse hunger with thirst, so staying hydrated is a good way to beat cravings. Don’t be afraid to add some lemon, lime, or fruit to give it added benefits!

Smart Swaps: Summertime is filled with treats, barbeques, and many other delicious treats. Even though it’s okay to indulge every now and again, having alternative health-conscious versions of your favorite foods will leave you feeling better in the long-term.

Try these swaps: Chips for popcorn, brown rice instead of white rice; fruit instead of sugar on oatmeal or pancakes; veggies and hummus instead of bread or crackers; avocado on toast instead of bagels and cream cheese.

Avoid Crash Diets: Restrictive diets are unhealthy. “Lose ten pounds in ten days” may seem like a catchy deal, but these types of diets are not sustainable for long periods of time. To get healthy for summer, try focusing on eating five to six small meals a day. Frequent small meals help you feel full all day, keep your metabolism revving, and help you avoid snacking all day.

Make Your Own Meals: When you cook your own meals you know what is in them and can make appropriate portions. Focus on having a colorful plate filled with veggies, some protein, and some complex carbohydrates.

Remember To Love Yourself Regardless, Because it All Takes Time: There will be days you want to indulge and have ice cream or a burger – and you should! Having a treat every once in a while won’t make you unhealthy just as going to the gym once won’t make you fit. Remember that striving to be fit and healthy should be a lifestyle that’s maintainable all year, not just a quick fix, and requires mental health as well as physical health.

Let us know if you enjoyed these tips for how to shape up for summer. Remember to stay confident throughout these upcoming sunny days!

Samantha Henry is a Feature Writer for HCUCF and is a junior double majoring in Journalism and Creative Writing. As a music festival enthusiast, she loves to write about music and how it influences our generation.
Elizabeth is an undergraduate psychology student at the University of Victoria. She is a lover of the performing arts, the Avengers, comfort food, and tall tall shoes. Hailing from Ontario, Elizabeth looks forward to soaking up the West Coast sunshine, sipping Flat Whites, and getting to know the Greater Victoria community.