Everything You Need to Know About Winter Style In Greece

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

From the time I landed in Greece for a study abroad this semester I have been engrossed by the amazing style of Greek people. I realize that everyone has their own fashion sense and preferences about how they present themselves; however, from airline hosts to store clerks, I have noticed a shared love of a few styles that we need to take note of over in Canada.

Greeks Love Makeup

\

Foundation, mascara, and a red lip are the go-to looks on many Greek women. In my opinion, these bold makeup choices show the professionalism and attention to fashion that we associate with Europeans. While I do not have the skill to pull this look off on the daily myself, I love that Greek women rock it and think that more Canadian women should too.

Greeks Love Dark Colors

With so much attention drawn by bold makeup, it makes sense that a more conservative country like Greece would then tone down the rest of their clothing choices. Black is not only flattering but also so versatile, which makes it a great color to add to your wardrobe AND your suitcase. It turns out black on black on black is a safe and stylish way to dress on the West Coast of Canada as well as metropolitan Greece!

Greeks Love Plaid Scarves

\

Particularly the off-brand Burberry ones. These yellow babies are everywhere on women as well as men! Scarves do a wonderful job of keeping you warm on a windy day but they are also great accessories to add a little bit of color to your outfit.

Greeks Love Puff Coats

Yes, I am here during the coldest months of the year and I’m sure this trend will melt away come April. Nevertheless, thick black coats are a must. I only saw the temperature dip below zero the first day I was here (which allowed for some incredible photo ops in the snow!) so most days a Canadian is comfortable in a hoodie and a rain coat or a warm trench coat. Think Victoria in the winter, but with slightly less wind and rain. But Greeks are not used to sub-zero weather so they bundle up in gorgeous coats like these, something which we could take a lesson from in Victoria.

Greeks Love Furs

I know, I know. But there is such a thing as a faux fur, too! Greeks (and Europeans in general) tend to love furs and while I have never been one for fur, I am starting to understand it. They can be ridiculously soft and add an air of that vintage Parisian fashion to your #ootd. Both real and faux fur are easily accessible at stores in Victoria and, if you aren’t feeling the real fur vibes, there is this cute Jun and Ivy Faux Fur Sweater Wrap that I love the casual/classy look of.

Source: 1/2

Deia moved from Kelowna, British Columbia to Victoria in 2014 and is now a third year student at the University of Victoria. Deia is spending her pre-education days in Greek and Roman Studies and is currently doing a semester abroad in Greece. She loves rain (as long as she's indoors) and all things pasta related.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison