brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Christmas Guide to Instagram

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Christmas, more than any other time of year, is a time for memories. The good and the bad; if it’s a memory made at Christmas, it’s a memory that will endure. Remember how last Christmas you managed to not fight with your brother at the dinner table? But remember three years ago, when your mum and uncle had a political debate that got so heated it meant they didn’t talk until the Christmas after?

Everyone has Christmas memories, dramatic or mundane, and everyone feels the need to document them. Your dad dusts off the video camera that your family invested in during the 90s for its annual appearance. Your grandmother frantically snaps pictures on her new disposable camera. Now it’s your turn to document, and it’s never been easier than with social media.

So if you want to remember this Christmas for all the right reasons, why not post a simple yet sleek array of festive Instagram pictures.

Here are a few ideas to get you going:

1. A Christmas tree

Whether nestled in the corner of your family’s cosy living room or standing tall in your local mall, a Christmas tree pic will add the right amount of sparkle and colour to your Insta feed.

2. Christmas lights 

A string of lights laced around a staircase or criss-crossing above the heads of Christmas shoppers in the street: magical sights that just have to be showcased.

3. A Christmas OOTD

A picture of your favourite festive outfit is sure to fit in nicely with your holiday theme!

4. A Christmas drink

Who doesn’t want to chronicle the amount of red Starbucks cups they’ve accumulated?!

5. Christmas pyjamas

Purchasing a new pair of pyjamas is a common tradition for a lot of people at this time of year. Why not chronicle this year’s ensemble in your next post?

6. Christmas presents

It’s always enjoyable, and sometimes even amusing, to look back at gifts you have given and received from others! Snap a quick picture on your phone on Christmas morning and then get back to tucking into that turkey you’ve been waiting for all year!

Your Instagram will never have looked better!

But remember, as much as photographing and recording can be fun, don’t forget to look up, put down the phone and take in the real Christmas scene in front of you. Even if you didn’t take a picture, it still happened!

1/2/3/4/5/6

Laura Ferris is a second year English Literature student from the University of Exeter, England, and is currently on international exchange and attending the University of Victoria, Canada. She is looking forward to writing for U Vic's Her Campus chapter and hopes to pursue a career in writing in the future.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison