Christmas Albums That You Should Definitely Be Listening to This December

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Stores have been setting out their seasonal decorations for over a month now. Jingle bells are ringing in the wind, andChristmas lists are being shared over the interwebs. It’s that time of year, folks—the most absolutely, positively, wonderful time of the year! It’s Christmas!

And with the holiday season already upon us, that means wrapping and shopping and decorating and soul crushing exams. And what better soundtrack for the upcoming holidays and educational destruction than the holliest and jolliest of music? Below are just a few of the Christmas albums that will perfectly help you get into the Christmas spirit  this year:

1. J-Biebs: Under the Mistletoe

This albumis a solid bop. Say what you will about the Biebs (And I will), but you have to admit his Christmas album has a lot of good stuff going on. It’s got an almost nostalgic, youthful feel to it, bringing us all back to the pop tunes of the later 2000’s. It’s a fun album, reimagining some popular Christmas tunes in a fun, poppy fashion.

2. Sarah Mclachlan: Wintersong

Slow, melodious tunes are dominant in Sarah Mclachlan’s “Wintersong.” Mclachlan performs some beautiful melodies here, bringing a soulful feeling to tunes like “Silent Night” and “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.” What this album gives us is a much more emotional Christmas experience. It’s slow, with dulcet tones, perfect for listening to in the evening, when you’re warm and snuggly. It’s just the thing for relaxing into the holiday season.

3. Mariah Carey: Merry Christmas

Featuring arguably one of the most iconic Christmas tunes of all time, “All I Want For Christmas Is You,” Mariah Carey’s “Merry Christmas” truly brings the Christmas spirit. It’s soulful, it’s fun, it’s got sleigh bells. It’s Christmas wrapped up in a musical album. It brings the Christmas spirit from the first note. And I can promise you at least one of the songs from this album is already playing on radio stations across the country.

4. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer Soundtrack

Does this one even need an explanation? It’s the tunes of every Christmas I had as a child, the delightful cast of colourful characters singing about everything from glittering gifts to teeth of all things. Honestly, what’s Christmas without Rudolph?

5. Idina Menzel: Holiday Wishes

A mix of smooth jazz tunes and graceful melodies are the norm for Idina Menzel’s “Holiday Wishes.” Menzel brings her signature vocals to re-imaginings of some classic Christmas tunes, with the likes of “White Christmas” and “Silent Night.” And, my favourite on this album anyways, “Baby It’s Cold Outside,” featuring Michael Buble in this fun Christmas duet that I’ve had on repeat for a very, very long time.

6. Trans-Siberian Orchestra: Christmas Eve and Other Stories

Trans-Siberian Orchestra’s “Christmas Eve and Other Stories” is one of my all time favourite Christmas albums. It’s a mix of incredible instrumental and vocal tunes, smashing different Christmas songs together to create something absolutely beautiful. The songs range from gentle to powerful, showcasing an entire orchestras worth of instruments, from flutes to electric guitars. And track 8, “Christmas/Sarajevo 12/24” is probably one of my favourite Christmas songs ever. I could not recommend enough.

7. Sia: Everyday is Christmas

It’s not a classic, but does it have to be? Comprised of entirely original music, Sia’s “Everyday is Christmas” is delightful, filled with joyful songs and Christmas cheer. And she’s got jingle bells ringing in more than one song. Can it get any better? I don’t really think so! Playing this album while wrapping all those gifts could bring a whole new level of cheer to a December afternoon.

8. Taylor Swift: The Taylor Swift Holiday Collection

Harkening back to a different, less angry age, is the Taylor Swift Holiday Collection. This album’s 6 song tracklist manages to pack a lot into a short span, with delightful country renditions of classics like “Last Christmas,” as well as a few Taylor Swift originals, like the melancholic “Christmases When you Were Mine.” My favourite track? The delightful, cheery rendition of “Santa Baby” that Swift sings for us. This is usually the first thing I start playing when December rolls around.

9. Michael Buble: Christmas

The man! The myth! The legend! It’s everybody’s favourite Christmas album! It’s Michael Buble’s Christmas! Soon Buble will make his way out of his 11 month hibernation for this revered album, finally signaling that the true Christmas season has arrived. A Christmas classic, filled with delightful pop-y, and smooth jazz renditions of Christmas classics like “White Christmas,” “Silent Night,” and “Santa Baby (Santa buddy…).” This album evokes a calm, happy Christmas feeling that is perfect for the holidays.

While this list is by no means definitive, it’s got some great choices to start getting you into the holiday spirit. Or, if you’re me, get you deeper into the holiday spirit. And whether you turn on the radio or click track 1 on your holiday mixtape, I hope you’re listening to some wonderful Christmas tunes throughout this holiday season.

Sources: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9

Ria Boldt

U Vic '20

Ria is a slightly confused fourth year at the University of Victoria, with a major in tea drinking and a minor in freelance superhero-ing. When not busy she can usually be found reading, eating, or re-watching all of the Star Wars movies.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison