Campus Cutie: Nicholas Roethel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Meet Nicholas ‘ThiccNicc’ Roethel. As a man of many talents, not only can Nick rap masterpieces like “Pick up the Phone” by Travi$ Scott, he can also impress you with his ability to speak French and German. On any given day you can spot this charismatic and stylish engineer in Mystic Market or in the law lounge.

Year of study: First

Major: Engineering

Hometown: Victoria, B.C.

Relationship status: Taken

Activities: I spend most of my time studying or at the gym, but when I have some free time I like to spend it either with my girlfriend, with ‘the bois’, partying or shopping.

HC: If you could be any celebrity for a day, who would you be?

NR: There’s no celebrity that I’d really be interested in being for a day, but if I had the opportunity to spend the day with any celebrity, I would probably have to pick Kanye (polarizing choice, I know).

HC: What is your best party trick or secret talent?

NR: I’m really good at catching grapes and other small snacks in my mouth from far distances.

HC: Cats or dogs?

NR: I love dogs, but I’d have to go with cats because they’re more independent and I’m not home too much.

HC: If you could have any superpower what would it be and why?

NR: I’ve actually been thinking about this a lot recently, and I think I’d choose not having to sleep. I know it doesn’t sound like a superpower, but I feel as if I could do so much with the extra time.

HC: What would be the perfect first date?

NR: You can’t really go wrong with the classic dinner and a movie, but I think there’s a few better options. Since you can’t talk during the movies, it can be hard to get to know the other person. My first date with my girlfriend was dinner and a midnight skate, which I think went pretty well.

HC: What is your favourite movie?

NR: Inglorious Bastards. I went on a pretty big Tarantino binge last spring break ‘cause I had meningitis and couldn’t really move for two weeks.

HC: What is one of your New Year’s resolutions?

NR: Uhhh I don’t really have any new year’s resolutions, because I don’t really believe in the whole “new year new me” thing. If I have any goals, I try to start as soon as possible, rather than waiting till the new year to get started. That being said, the resolution that I’m currently focusing on is going to the gym 5-7 times a week. I’m still recovering from a few injuries, and it can be hard with the engineering workload, but I’ve managed to stay consistent for the last few months.

HC: What are your top three dream travel destinations?

NR: New York, Los Angeles, China.

HC: What is your star sign?

NR: Aries.

HC: A cliché question, but what is your favourite colour?

NR: Recently, I’ve really been liking red and orange for some reason, but it changes every few years.

HC: Where would be your dream place to live?

NR: I really like big cities, so I don’t think I could ever live in a city smaller than Victoria for an extended period of time. Ideally, I’d like to live in a major city in Canada or in the US, like LA.

HC: What is one thing you want to do before you graduate?

NR: I’d really like to do some more travelling. I’ve done a lot of travelling in Europe, but I haven’t done much in Asia, or even in North America.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

NR: Ideally, I’d like to be living in a major city with a stable job that allows me to express my creative side a bit.

HC: Three words that describe yourself.

NR: Happy, Obsessive, Motivated.  

If you see Nicholas on campus, don’t be afraid to say hi!

Megan Thompson is a third year student at University of Victoria who is completing a degree in Hispanic Studies. She is currently the Outreach Director for her chapter, and after she graduates from UVic she intends to pursue a law degree at either UBC or UVic. 
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison