Agrima Kashyap: Nurturing Motivation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Meet Agrima, a hard working girl with an admirable and tremendous amount of confidence. When this Health and Information Science major isn’t busy running her club, she can be found swimming or fearfully racing through lifted parkade arms.Agrima is the president of the Young Women in Business (YWiB) club here at UVic. YWiB is an organization dedicated to helping young women reach their full potential. YWiB UVic is one of five university chapters that are all governed by a board of directors based in Vancouver. UVic is the least corporate friendly university of the bunch. Agrima finds that while this can sometimes make it difficult to build relationships with businesses, more focus can be put on providing professional and personal development programs to UVic women. Her hope is that YWiB will create more platforms and opportunities for collegiettes outside of the classroom.The first year that Agrima joined YWiB UVic, she was able to witness the invaluable confidence that YWiB gives to each of its members. In that first year, she observed one of her fellow members transform. This individual blossomed, from a girl who was struggling to relate to people and who had low self-esteem, into a young woman with the confidence to branch out. This girl received an entire network of friends in addition to her personal growth. Since then Agrima says that “the key driver has been seeing the change in people.” Agrima’s goal is to reach out to every faculty and department in order to positively affect each girl. Agrima states that she believes “everyone deserves to gain these real world skills and [the opportunity] get the career they want.”The panel discussion that YWiB is holding at the end of this month is just one way that the UVic chapter is educating its colligiettes. It will be focused on women in the workplace with each panelist sharing her personal story. This will be a great way for attendees to ask specific questions and really get to know the presenters. One highlight is Karen McCoy. Agrima has seen her speak at a conference and felt that McCoy moved the audience. It wasn’t just the story that captured the crowd; it was the emotions Karen shared that were most inspiring. With presenters who are willing to be so open , the YWiB UVic’s panel discussion is sure to be an amazing experience.Agrima is excited for the upcoming panel and for future events. She’s consistently working to make sure that YWiB remains a support network for ambitious women who want to connect with their like-minded peers. She believes that surrounding yourself with the kind of women who are members of YWiB is motivating. “The events are just a bonus,” Agrima says.”The core is the people.”If you would like to learn more about becoming a member of YWiB UVic and the Women in the Workplace panel discussion on October 29th, click here!

Femi Tunde-Oladepo is in her final year at the University of Victoria where she is studying at the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. After her undergrad, Femi hopes to read law and master French, Spanish and Italian. She is an active volunteer in her community and enjoys working with the Rotaract Club on campus. Having filled numerous notebooks as a child, Femi adores writing — especially short stories. She likes to dance (spontaneously), listen to all genres of music, laugh loudly and be the sassiest person in a room. In her spare time, Femi likes to window shop online, go for runs and reorganize spaces. One day, Femi hopes to perfect the art of soft pretzels. Follow her on Instagram @femzieb to see her attempts at being artsy and pensive.
Originally from Calgary, Alberta, Melissa Guenette currently studies business at the University of Victoria's Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. When she's not studying for midterms or finals, Melissa enjoys reading Harry Potter, being out in nature, and considers herself a connoisseur for all things dessert related. With her dry sense of humour and charismatic personality, she often leaves a room in stitches, a quality she considers beneficial while working on HerCampus' UVic Chapter. Follow her on Twitter @MelGuenette.