10 Common Interview Questions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.
Exams are soon coming to an end and summer is waiting just around the corner! Say hello to flip-flops, sun-tanning, late nights out with friends and- oh that’s right a summer job. With applications and resumes come the one-on-one interviews. Ohhh that dreaded interview. The best way to settle your nerves and rock that interview is to prepare for it beforehand! Here are 10 common yet tricky questions you may get asked during your interview. 

1. What are some of your weaknesses and strengths?

When you name a weakness, be sure to describe the steps you’re taking to overcome it. For example, if your weakness is public speaking, perhaps explain that although speaking in front of large groups is an area you struggle in, you are working on pushing your boundaries by taking opportunities which require you to speak in front of others. When naming a strength, be confident but not cocky. And please don’t say: my strength is that I have NO weaknesses. 

2. How do you stay organized?
Explain to them how you keep on top of things, whether that’d be making lists, writing down goals, or keeping an agenda. Whatever method you use, explain to your interviewers that you’ll be able to handle whatever they plan on throwing at you with the help of your organization system.

3. Do you work well under pressure?
For this question it’d be helpful to describe to your interviewers a time when you were put under the gun, and came out with a positive outcome. 

4. Describe a difficult work situation you were in and how you dealt with it?
Before you enter your interview, have a story about a previous conflict you’ve had with a co-worker/team mate ready to share with them. Make sure you include what the conflict was and how you approached the issue. It also wouldn’t hurt to describe any lessons you learned from it, or different steps you’d take if the problem were to arise again. 

5. What do you know about our company?
Know about the company you want to work for! Research online about the company’s history, their objectives, what their purpose is etc. Also research about the position you’re applying for so you can describe how your personal qualities fit with the role. 

6. Why do you want to work for us?
This question can be a personal one that changes from person to person. Just ask yourself: what interested you to apply to this company? What personal gains and experiences does this company offer you that others don’t? What would you be able to contribute to the company if you were hired? It’d be helpful to have these answers ready in case they pull this question on you. 

7. How do you evaluate success?
There are several potential answers to this one, and once again it’s subjective. You may be motivated by the money or status the job offers, but the interviewers may be looking for something a little deeper. Try discussing how success is your positive contribution or the satisfaction you receive from the work you are doing. Completing short and long term goals could also be your definition of success. The answer to this one is really up to you.  

8. Why should I hire you?
This question opens the floor to you to discuss what you can contribute to the company and the position you’re applying for. Discuss your strengths and any background experience you have that sets you apart from the others. 

9. What motivates you?
Here the interviewers are interested in what drives you. They’re not necessarily asking you what has motivated you to apply for the job. Be enthusiastic and energetic when answering this question. If, for example, you’re passionate about providing assistance and supporting others, then explain this to them. 

10. Do you prefer to work alone or with others?

Your answer for this one will depend on your own preference. If you work well independently, perhaps describe how you like the simplicity of it and the opportunity to be accountable of all aspects of a project. If you like working in a group you can maybe mention that you enjoy having many minds collaborating on a project because of the constant exchanging of ideas. Also touch on how you’re a team player and try to bring up any experiences you’ve had working with others. If you don’t have a preference and like working both alone and in a group, then that’s fine too! Just be sure to explain yourself. 

Keep in mind that these answers are merely suggestions that are meant to get you thinking. Just remember to be honest and genuine when you talk to your potential employer. With energy and confidence, you’ll totally ace that interview! 
Originally from Calgary, Alberta, Melissa Guenette currently studies business at the University of Victoria's Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. When she's not studying for midterms or finals, Melissa enjoys reading Harry Potter, being out in nature, and considers herself a connoisseur for all things dessert related. With her dry sense of humour and charismatic personality, she often leaves a room in stitches, a quality she considers beneficial while working on HerCampus' UVic Chapter. Follow her on Twitter @MelGuenette.