What Your Body Language Says About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Though it’s often overlooked, body language accounts for most of human communication. Studies have shown that only 7% of our judgements are based on what we say, while over 50% of the judgements people make are visual. This means communication is not just about what you say, but it’s mostly based on the little things, including all the nonverbal cues you may be giving unintentionally. Find out how your body language can help you develop confidence, charisma and success in university, your career and personal relationships.

1. Smiling Only from Your Mouth (Not Your Eyes)

What it says about you: You’re faking it!

While you don’t necessarily need to smile more, as smiling too much can be a sign of submission, keep in mind that people can tell when smiles are fake. There are approximately 18 different types of smiles, and only one, the Duchenne smile, is an indication of true happiness (!!). According to researchers, the eyes are the best indicator of genuine facial expressions and you can tell a real smile when eyelids and eyebrows lift upward along with the smile. An authentic smile will reach a person’s eyes and create “crow’s feet”, which is when the skin crinkles around the corners of the eyes. If someone’s smile doesn’t reach their eyes, it is probably fake.

2. Excessive Blinking

What it signals: Discomfort or dishonesty

Most people blink about 5-10 times per minute. While blinking is involuntary, blinking too often may signal that you’re feeling uncomfortable or that you may even be lying. Blinking rates tend to rise in tense situations or when people are thinking deeply. Since people blink more when they are feeling under pressure (such as when lying), excessive blinking can also be a sign of dishonesty.

3. Breathy Laughter

What It Means: The laugh is genuine

If you want to know if someone actually thinks you’re hilarious, listen carefully to the pitch and the volume, as well as how much breath sounds with the laughter. According to Greg Bryant, Associate Professor of Communication Studies at UCLA, there are some pretty obvious differences between real and fake laughter. Authentic laughter tends to be louder, breathier and higher pitched because it’s produced by different vocal systems than speech. While fake laughter is produced by the same vocal system as speech, real laughs come from an emotional vocal system.

4. Steepling

What it signals: Confidence, assertiveness and even dominance

Steepling occurs when someone presses their fingers together in an upward, steep-like position. The gesture is done to display confidence and is often used by lecturers, executives and politicians to distinguish themselves from subordinates. 

5. Microexpressions

What they reveal: Your subconscious mind

Micro-expressions or micro-gestures are brief, involuntary movements in the lips, eye brows or facial muscles that occur in under a second. They can be easily missed and often reveal a person’s inner emotions that have been suppressed, or emotions dissimilar to what we may be revealing. Microexpressions express the seven universal emotions: disgust, anger, fear, sorrow, gladness, hate, and surprise.

6. Hunched Shoulders or Slouched Posture

What it signals: Insecurity

Hunching your shoulders and slouching can signal a lack of confidence because both positions appear to minimize your physical form. The less space you take up, the less power you project and the less likely you are to be taken seriously. Bad posture will not only make you appear powerless and insecure to others, but it will also make you feel helpless and timid. According to researcher Amy Cuddy, posture can actually affect your hormone levels and influence your decision-making skills. Standing up tall and spreading out your arms and legs will not only increase your confidence and help you seem more approachable and friendly, but it’s also good for your health! Good posture also helps prevent muscle strain, reduce your stress levels and improves your memory retention!

7. Staring

What It Signals: Self-Consciousness

Eye contact is usually a pretty good thing, but locking eyes for too long can make for a seriously awkward situation. It is usually a sign of over-awareness of the message they’re emitting because it reveals that you’re thinking too much. If you find yourself staring and overthinking your social interactions, take a few deep breaths and try to direct your focus back to the conversation.

8. Mirroring Other People’s Body Language        

What it means: The conversation is going well

Mirroring body language (also known as limbic synchrony) is basically a nonverbal way to say ‘I agree with you’ or ‘I like you’. When someone begins to imitate your gestures or speech pattern it means that they either agree with what you’re saying, or they feel a close bond with you. It’s such an innate part of human communication that babies will often synchronize their heartbeats and body functions to match their mothers. Adults subconsciously imitate the facial expressions, gestures and postures of those we feel connected to.

9. Excessive Nodding

What It Signals: Insecurity, anxiety and desire for approval

Although nodding can be used to show interest in others and encourage conversation, excessive nodding can signal insecurity or anxiety. Too much nodding can also give the appearance of boredom or disinterest, as people often nod excessively when they’re not truly engaged and paying attention to a conversation and thus, overcompensate. Keeping your head in a neutral position, however, will help signal confidence, authority and charisma.

10. Crossed Arms and Legs

What It Signals: Boredom or Disagreement

Crossed arms and legs create a physical barrier that can make you seem closed off and emotionally unavailable—even if that’s not your intent. While it can be interpreted positively in the company of friends or family, it may be viewed as a sign of disinterest or disagreement when speaking to a stranger. However, if you’re feeling threatened or find yourself in a dangerous situation, crossing your arms is a good way to create a physical and psychological barrier and create some distance and self-defense.

11. Dilated Pupils

What Is Signals: Interest

According to Eckhard Hess, your pupils dilate when talking to people we are interested in or looking at a particularly intriguing object. Likewise, when people are looking at something they don’t like, their pupils constrict. Researchers discovered that when people who were shown pictures of political candidates, their pupils dilated in response to those they found favorable and constricted when confronted with candidates they didn’t relate to ideologically.  

http://www.scienceofpeople.com/body-language/

http://www.talentsmart.com/articles/8-Great-Tricks-For-Reading-People%E2…

https://www.factretriever.com/body-language-facts

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-tell-if-a-laugh-is-real-1575969415

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-read-body-language-more-effectively-1572937449

Grace Dada

U Toronto

Amateur at life, expert at worrying over tiny things that don’t really matter. Can be found with her nose in a good book, gulping down a caramel macchiato or (occasionally) attending lectures.