Voir Dire Editor in Chief Maria Christodoulou

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

It is often difficult to stay motivated when you are constantly bombarded by the pressures of life, whether they are school, family, or work related. All of us have surely experienced the agony and frustration of finding ourselves unable to keep striving to pursue our goals, for they often require long, difficult processes to achieve. We’re all human, and so, cannot be blamed if at times we want nothing more than to completely abandon all our anxieties and avoid anything that may involve even the slightest amount of stress. Fortunately, we can all find the inspiration to stay optimistic by simply looking to our peers- those who have positive attitudes, incredible work ethics, and who gladly assume multiple commitments. An example of such an admirable fellow student is Maria Christodoulou, a second year student at the University of Toronto’s Woodsworth College, she is currently enrolled in a double major in Ethics, Society and Law and Philosophy. Maria is first and foremost, an incredibly driven, bright and dedicated student. She is currently the Editor in Chief for the quarterly publication of the Voir Dire, a journal published by the University of Toronto’s Pre-Law Society. Maria must constantly be in contact with other members of the club, and ensure that its many writers meet the necessary deadlines for their articles; otherwise, they cannot be published. Although this may seem a challenging task, Maria enjoys her duties, and especially loves the teamwork that her role in the Voir Dire involves. “It’s a very fulfilling feeling when the project is done and you know that everyone involved put a lot of time and effort into it,” says Maria. Maria is always glad to learn from the very different individuals she interacts with on a daily basis, both in her extra-curricular activities and in university.

Although never the one to let anything crush her enthusiasm, Maria admits that the transition from high school to university proved a difficult one for her and that she found it hard to concentrate without procrastinating in the beginning. What was Maria’s solution to avoiding the temptation to procrastinate? “Somehow I had the idea to make an inspiration board which has photos and phrases of goals I would like to achieve in the future. I hung this board up over my desk where I usually do my studying, and look at it whenever I find myself procrastinating or unable to focus. Ultimately it is important to pace yourself when under stress.” Maria’s humble attitude prevents her from admitting how inspiring her achievements are, and instead she keeps her attention focused upon pursuing a career in law and enjoying her learning experiences at UofT. When she is not busy with her studies or extra-curricular responsibilities, Maria enjoys writing short stories, poetry, as well as dancing and watching movies. All of these hobbies give Maria the vibrant energy she uses to tackle the challenges of life, and her cheerfulness can serve as a reminder to all of us that there is always something to smile about, no matter how horrible a situation may seem. If we all face our problems eagerly, as Maria does, we may find ourselves with fewer troubles and more self-confidence!