VMAs Best & Worst Moments: From Thumbs Up to Thumbs Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

The MTV VMAs took place Sunday night and we saw plenty of styles that were worthy of a big thumbs up as did for a sore thumbs down.

It is apparent that the stars dared to take fashion risks as there was an assorted array of styles from high slits, low cuts, and hip hugging dresses to 90’s throwback, unflattering cuts and almost vomit inducing appearances. Okay, well… maybe not vomit inducing, but they sure made us gag.

THUMBS UP

Beyonce

Beyonce never ceases to fail us with her #flawless supreme #Queen Bee appearances. The Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Winner turned heads on the Red Carpet, dressed in a black lace Nicolas Jebran gown, looking absolutely gorge with her amber-hued flowing loose locks. She would later perform in a reflecting bejeweled mosaic body suit that would light her up radiantly like the diva disco ball that she is.

It’s hard not to believe that #SheWokeUpLikeThis.

She ended off her night posing with her awards for the camera in this beautiful burgundy sheer dress.

Demi Lovato

All we can say is WOW Demi!!!

Voted as one of the best dressed at the VMAs, she worked her stuff in a sexy bright red Lanvin centre split dress. The cinch at the waist created a draped look that rocked her curves and fell ever so elegantly. She was oozing gorgeous with the complimentary Giuseppe Zanotti  shoes and a Charlotte Olympia clutch.

Gwen Stefani

As one of our unique faves, the Hollaback Girl looked chic in a simple pink and black L.A.M.B Couture with sexy Christian Louboutin shoes.

J-Lo

The Papi singer dazzled the red carpet in a fleshy skin-tight high slit silver glittery mesh dress as one of the leads for the best dress at this event. Her hair and make-up was kept to a minimum as the dress did all the flattering and sculpted her bodacious figure to the max. The look was kept simple yet turned up the jazzy with white solid pumps.

Iggy Azalea

While showing off her dangerous curves, House of Style host Iggy Azalea bared just the right amount of skin, kept the hairstyling to a minimum, and nailed a futuristic yet #fancy look with this Atelier Versace fit strapless dress with a cut out in the front. Perfection! We absolutely love it!

Kelly Rowland

The glowing mommy-to-be showed of her growing baby bump in a shimmery champagne pink maternity dress by KAUFMANFRANCO that made her look like a goddess. To compliment the look, the singer’s make-up was absolutely flawless and bold. With rosy pink lips and her halo braid she achieved a romantic yet angelic feel to her pending motherhood.

Laverne Cox

The Orange is the New Black star looked absolutely dazzling in a one shouldered glittery Mark Bouwer black cocktail skin-tight dress that showed of her transgendered feminine curves as well as one of the best looking pair of legs in Hollywood and her sleek bangs were absolutely perfect. Laverne definitely slayed the Red Carpet rocking this snazzy look.

Miley Cyrus

This year the Wrecking Ball singer toned it down at the VMAs sporting a chic Alexandre Vauthier leather bandeau and high-waisted leather harem pants. This look is absolutely adorbz on Miley’s slim figure complimented by her pixie haircut. I think it’s safe to say that most of us are hoping for Miley to maintain this type of appearance and style – let’s just hope we haven’t spoken too soon.

Nicki Minaj

Nicki looked slick on this year’s red carpet, tamed and toned down in a sparkling, bold print, long sleeved Saint Laurent mini dress to match her twerkalicious jungle themed Anaconda performance which may have been her sexiest one yet. Even though her wardrobe malfunction towards the end of the event screamed disaster, this Harujuku Barbie still managed to keep it together on stage during in divalicious collab with Jessie J and Ariana Grande for Bang Bang performance.

Rita Ora

The Black Widow Singer let it all hang out showing off killer curves and a bare back in a red hot Donna Karan Atelier negligee-inspired, thigh-high slit silk charmeuse dress paired with a stunning pair of red strapless heels. This blonde beauty unveiled some spider woman charm with rapper Iggy Azalea on stage (see below), which we bet after watching, Calvin Harris probably beat himself up 9 times over for, for ending things with Rita.

THUMBS DOWN

Amber Rose

We are not going to sugercoat this one: Amber practically wore chains to the Red Carpet VMAs.

We get it, Amber is post baby bump and she wants to show it off, we must admit that she does sport a killer bod. However there is a thin line between “showing it off” and leaving nothing to the imagination and she crossed that line wearing the Rose McGowan-inspired frock.

Amber, darling, you should have this one on the hanger.

Ariana Grande

Sorry Ariana, but where do we begin with this one? The high ponytail, knee high leather boots and go-go look was cute at the start of your career but now it’s just getting old. There is a dire need for you to change it up, gurlfriend. In fact, we dare you to.

Charlie XCX

We applaud Charlie for trying something unique, but Yikes!!! This was Charlie’s first appearance ever on the VMAs, but we’ve got to be honest – it is cute how she looked like she jumped straight out the 90’s, sporting a one-sleeved Tiger jumpsuit, but it didn’t flow with the style of the event. However, we do love the bold lip.

Chloe Grace Moretz

Chloe is an angel, there is no denying it, which is why we had such a hard time giving her a thumbs down. Chloe is just 17 but she looked like she was going on 50 in a yucky china pattern top and baby pink dress pants. We get that you’re trying to set yourself apart from other female pop stars your age, but don’t go out of your age group to do it.

Lorde

Lorde we love you and understand your never defying love for the color black, but the wide legged baggy body suit you sported at the VMAs just was not flattering for you and did not cut it for us.

Katy Perry

Ummmm… Katy there are definitely an array of other favourable throwbacks to choose from. This denim gown and suit worn by Britany Spears and Justin Timberlake at 2001 American Music Awards should not have been one of them. In addition to the cosplay affair, Katy’s date, Rapper Riff Raff ‘rocking’ the Timberlake inspired look, sported pink braids.

Katy we love you, but truth be told, you’ve rocked better appearances. But we do give you Kudos for being committed to this look on the Red Carpet. Overall, this Denim affair accomplished a warning statement, not a fashionable one.

Kim Kardashian

Runnn!! IT HAS WINGS!!!

Kim’s dress-thingy was questionable. It did not compliment her figure – in fact, it did the exact opposite, and the semi-messy hair look overshadowed and tired her face. The dress set Kim K up for a fashion fail and unflattering sad cleavage. YIKES!! We know she knows better.

Ouch. The truth hurts and it pains us to voice it.

Solange

Solange, Sweetie, we always look forward to your live appearances, but this one didn’t cut it for us.

Let’s be real here: Beyonce’s lil’sis has worn better men’s style pieces – in fact, like Jenelle Monea, Solange is an expert at rocking out men’s inspired styles with utmost feminine appeal.  We are still trying to fathom what caused the mishap. Did she beat Jay-z up again, but this time in his closet and decide to borrow some of the Rappers clothes or what?

Most weren’t really feeling the glittery suit, however, the Diana Ross hair suited Solange and framed her face very well.

…and lastly Taylor Swift

Taylor opted to go for a long sleeved bodysuit to match her new pop-style. This wasn’t cutting it for us, although we were expecting long shimmering feminine dresses that she always looks stunning in, we also were excited to see what her new found look would look like. She gets thumbs up for the “Shake it off” performance…

….but a major thumbs down for her appearance on the Red Carpet.

Sorry Taylor!

Every year there are eye candy fashions to indulge in as well many surprises we witness that get burned into our minds that we wish we haven’t seen. So…what can we expect at the 2015 VMAs?

·Kelly Rowland post baby bump

• Besides the baby, one thing that everyone keeps an eye out for after stars give birth is how fast they loose the extra pounds and put the sexy mommy figure on.

·Beyonce

• If the divorce rumors are true, could we expect Jay-Z, Beyonce and Blue to share the stage again this time around next year? Hmmm…guess we’ll have to wait and see.

·Nicki Minaj

• We see her playing it natural with natural toned make-up and hairstyles now, but it doesn’t mean she won’t turn up the volume again back to the way she came up on the scene with her multi-coloured wigs and outrageous playful outfits.

·Taylor Swift

• So we see T swift is attempting a new style, we felt the pop vibes coming on in her new single “Shake it off.” After viewing her performance at the VMAs, some are certain she’s turning into another Miley Cyrus, but we can’t for tell the future now, can we?

·Rita Ora, Iggy Azalea and Charlie XCX

• It has been all of their first time attending the 2014 VMAs. Rita Ora and Iggy Azalea stunned the Red Carpet looking too hot to touch only later to spread their femme fatale influence during their Black Widow performance on stage.

• We love Charlie XCX, we really do, but we are trusting that hopefully she can learn a couple style trends from this year’s best dressed attended celebs for next year. She has a cute frame and thick black wavy hair that many girls would kill for, so it would only be a shame if she doesn’t make our best dressed list in 2015 and if not, well, the third time’s a charm…right?

·… and lastly Gwen Stefani

• Yayyy!! Gwen is back – does this mean she will appear for next year’s VMAs and not disappear again while working on an album in between now and then? Whatever the case is, we really missed you Gwen, and are definitely rooting for you.

It is until next year’s VMAs that we will meet these stars on the best and worst dressed train once again, so until then….ta ta for now.

I am in my second year university gearing towards a major in Criminology and minor in Creative expressions.I love to slam poetry, smack bubble gum and watch crime docs.