The Truth About Veganism (And The Science Behind It)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by: Veronika Potylitsina

While vegetarians do not eat any meat products, a vegan diet excludes the consumption and/or use of any products of animal origin. Thanks to social media, veganism is becoming an extremely popular lifestyle choice. Canada, in particular, is a great place to be a vegan since there are countless vegan foods brands, like Vega and plenty of vegan restaurants to choose from. Also, as of 2016, it is now legally recognized to be a vegan for ethical reasons in Ontario, Canada.

People choose veganism for many reasons: to reduce greenhouse emissions and reduce climate change, to prevent animal cruelty, or just to lose weight or receive the many benefits of a healthier diet.

Here are some of the risks and benefits of choosing a vegan diet: 

What are some benefits in choosing a vegan diet?   

The Environment

According to ChooseVeg, raising animals for food produces more greenhouse gas emissions than pollution cause by transportation altogether. Instead, according to the organization, choosing a vegetarian or vegan diet can help reduce the impact of climate change, rainforest damage and smog, while saving important non-renewable resources.  

Health benefits

A fully-plant based diet is most likely healthier than a diet that includes refined, processed food. Studies have shown that frequent consumption of meat may increase the risk of death.  The vegan diet includes zero animal fats, which have been linked to increased risk of various cancers, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and hypertension. Research from Medical News Today, shows that says the risk of these health issues can be reduced by choosing a fully plant-based diet. Vesanto Melina, coauthor of the book Becoming Vegan, says “A vegan diet can be very healthy, and like any diet, it has to be well designed”.

Studies have also shown evidence that a vegan diet can help reduce rates of obesity and lower the risk of heart disease. Vegan diets provide better, richer sources of calcium from kale, spinach, turnips and other greens, than the average North American diets that include milk and cheese. Soy and fruits and greens also provide high amounts of Vitamin D, Vitamin K, plus other essential minerals.

Ethical Benefits

As much as we’d like to believe that the meat we eat is produced ethically, there is rampant abuse of animals in the meat industry. Animals are forced into septic slaughterhouses with appalling living conditions, while the working conditions for employees are often unhygienic and septic. Reducing consumption of meat may help to reduce the demand for meat products, or even force corporations to improve their working conditions and crack down on animal abuse.

So, what are the risks of choosing a vegan diet?

Meat is good, fish is even better

According to the German Nutrition Society, a plant-based diet makes it “difficult or impossible to attain an adequate supply of some nutrients”. Those who follow vegan diets should also take supplements to make sure they receive enough nutrients such as B-12, omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, iron, iodine, zinc and other minerals found in animal fats.

Can a fully-plant based diet give you all the nutrients you need?

Yes. According to Lisa Cimperman, a registered dietitian, and spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, “it is possible to get the nutrients you need” from a vegan diet. Although the vegan diet rubs the risk of deficiencies in important vitamins and minerals, there are supplements, nondairy creamers, and milk, which contain B-12 and other nutrients, so it’s important to eat those foods regularly.

Should You Go Vegan?

Knock yourself out…unless you are a child or adolescent, or you’re pregnant or breastfeeding. The German Nutrition Society recommends against a vegan diet for pregnant women, women who are breastfeeding, children and adolescents. The organization also recommends that those who go vegan receive advice from nutritionists and go for regular checkups from a physician.

Megan Ware, a dietitian nutritionist told Medical News Today that “in general, a vegan diet contains far more nutrients than the average American diet”.

Also, remember it is still possible to eat a balanced, healthy diet without becoming a vegan. If you don’t want to give up eating steaks and grilled cheese sandwiches, consider making some small lifestyle choices such as minimally reducing your consumption and use of animal products, or simply eating more fruits, veggies, and grains. Your body will thank you.

Grace Dada

U Toronto

Amateur at life, expert at worrying over tiny things that don’t really matter. Can be found with her nose in a good book, gulping down a caramel macchiato or (occasionally) attending lectures.