This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

TIFF brings the power of film to life. There is no better time to see this than during the Toronto International Film Festival each September. Whether you get tickets for a movie or just immerse yourself in the TIFF experience, there is always something to do during the festival.  

TIFF draws much attention and creates a lively environment throughout Toronto. Especially along King Street, people gather to experience all the festival has to offer. Vendors even give away free stuff such as Pure Leaf iced tea and Loréal lipstick! Not only that, but seeing a movie at the festival goes beyond just going to the average theatre. The audience shares a passion for film that can truly be felt throughout the venue. Theatres for the festival are dispersed throughout the city and include Roy Thomson Hall, TIFF Bell Lightbox, Elgin Theatre, the AGO, and many others.

Seeing a film before it officially hits theatres is always exciting if you manage to get tickets, but even just walking by the venues during red carpet premieres can give you a glimpse of a celebrity. As always, Toronto welcomed countless stars this year, a list of whom can be found here. If you missed your chance, there’s always next year! 

Being a volunteer also adds a new dimension to the festival experience. Being in the centre of the action is something that I would not have been able to experience any other way. Supporting film in this way is absolutely incredible and I would definitely recommend volunteering during the festival. An integral part of being a volunteer is helping the festival run effectively, and the community of volunteers is a great group to work with. Witnessing how things work behind the scenes at high-profile events like these is yet another one of the perks of volunteering for TIFF. Not only that, but seeing the directors introducing their movies really is unforgettable. 

If you’re looking for something to see before the festival ends, check out the film schedule on TIFF’s website. The Grolsch People’s Choice film, selected based on the viewers’ votes, will be shown for free at Roy Thomson Hall on Sunday September 17th at 6pm. Tickets can be picked up at the venue 2 hours prior to the screening. 

The Festival of Festivals, as the Toronto International Film Festival is often called, is a unique and enjoyable experience for all; it certainly lives up to its name. Embracing the creative culture of Toronto through film really is fantastic. Photographs provided by Katie Hunks